Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army Clothing Allowance Confussion

1. Senior Member

Army Clothing Allowance Confussion

Advertisements
    So, DH did his first 4 years with the Marine Corps. Actually, since he spent 1 year in the inactive reserves (since his contract was 4 years active, 4 years inactive), after that before going active Army, technically, he spent his first 5 years in the Corps. Now, he's been in the Army for over a year, and his clothing allowance is messed up and confusing us. He hasn't been able to get a strait answer on it, yet, either. So, I figured I'd see what I could find out on here.

Supposedly, the Basic (under 3 years of service) allowance for an Enlisted man is $327.60. The Standard (more than 3 years of service) amount is $469.35. Now, DH is coming up on his 6 year mark in September. He's getting paid the 'more than 4 years of service' amount and will receive his 'more than 6 year of service' pay in September. Even when he talked to people, they admit that his records are correct and he should be getting the Standard instead of the Basic. So, them accidentally paying him Basic instead of Standard is not such an issue. They are more than willing to fix that. The thing I'm confused on is why when he hit his 1 year mark with the Army, he was only given HALF of the Basic clothing allowance ($163.80). I went back and checked his previous LES's, and he wasn't already paid the other half earlier. I've checked with someone else whose husband has been in the Army for a little over a year and a half, and at his 12 month mark, he only got half of the Basic allowance. There was no other half at the 6 or 18 month mark.

Does anyone know why they seem to only be paying half of the clothing allowance, and does this mean DH will only get half of the Standard allowance? The Corps always paid the full clothing allowance. Is this just a mix up, and I should have that friend get her husband to tell them he only got half of his allowance?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I *think* it's typical to only receive half the first year.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I believe it's because they recently got all brand new uniforms so they figure they don't need as many after the first year. It's always paid in a lump sum, they don't split the clothing allowance up. And DH is getting his full allowance this paycheck according to mypay.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    getting 1/2 is standard for all new "recruits" and even tho your DH was prior service he was still considered a New "recruit" for the uniform allowance.

also with someone married to someone prior service there is a confusing difference between the time spent AD and the time spent in reserves.

DH has been in 22 years- is getting paid for 22 years but for time in service is only at 19 years. ( he was AD reserves for three years)
    his uniform allowance went by the time in service- not the total time in.
    he retires in OCT 2014 and will retire officially at 20 years but his retirement pay will be for 23 years
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    getting 1/2 is standard for all new "recruits" and even tho your DH was prior service he was still considered a New "recruit" for the uniform allowance.

also with someone married to someone prior service there is a confusing difference between the time spent AD and the time spent in reserves.

DH has been in 22 years- is getting paid for 22 years but for time in service is only at 19 years. ( he was AD reserves for three years)
    he retires in OCT 2014 and will retire officially at 20 years but his retirement pay will be for 23 years
    ditto...
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

Well, DH has already checked with everyone about the 1 year in reserve, and it counts toward his retirement and pay and even the clothing allowance. Not that the clothing allowance is a major issue, since he is over 3 years of service, either way. We believe that the 1 year counts because of the number of deployments. We know that when someone is in reserves, it only counts towards retirement if the person deploys a certain number of times. Maybe the closer he gets to retirement, we'll find out that the 1 year doesn't count the way he's been told it does...

I was mainly wondering what was up with getting half of the pay and if he would receive (in total, what he's already gotten plus the backpay) half of the Standard or the whole Standard amount. He's already been told getting Basic was a mistake and they're going to fix it. But thank you for the response. As much as that doesn't seem right that they, typically, get half of the yearly clothing allowance since it has been a year (new uniform or not), if that's what they do, then that's what they do.