Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braces?

1. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"

Braces?

Advertisements
    I'm going to the Oral surgeon tomorrow to set up having my wisdom teeth taken and and one tooth capped. I really want to get braces on my bottom teeth since the wisdom teeth coming in caused them to crowed really bad. Has anyone had them? How much do they cost? I have so many questions about them.
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I've had braces but when I was a teen. Pretty sure Tricare covers them for 23 years old & younger. I think they usually cost between $2000-$6000. I remember mine cost about $4000.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Tricare covers the $1750 if you are under 23. I got braces past that age and had to have some work done on my lower jaw to change the positioning, my braces cost upwards of $6k.

My daughter lucked out. Even though her first set of braces at 8 was fully covered because at the time we had United Concordia and they covered up to $1000, then just before she got her second set of braces at 12 Tricare switched to MetLife and covered $1750. My insurance covered another $1000, so we were only responsible for approximately $3k

My other kids will likely need braces too so I anticipate it'll be $6000 for each set but that includes all x-rays and retainers after. Thank goodness for insurance

eta: I just got my braces off last month. They were on for 22 months
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

mine were about 6500 i think but i had the clear ceramic on top so that cost a little more than regular metal ones.
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Mine are going to cost me upwards of $10-15k althogether(That is the quote I was given the other day by the dentist that will be helping get the ball rolling in getting my teeth 100% fixed. ), but that is because I can't jump straight to braces to realign my teeth. For me I have to have my jaw surgically broken and realigned before the braces. Then I'll have braces, and whatever else needed to help reform my jaw, and it'll be a good deal more money wise. Than being able to do just one set of braces... IF I went and just did the braces it'd be a huge waste of money and time..

OP I would recommend asking if it's even possible to get away with doing just braces, and talk about all your options and how realistic/likely to work those options are.. As an adult your bones in your jaw are now very likely fused together. Meaning braces alone may not do a darn thing depending on how much you need to have your teeth move to be "perfectly in place."

Oh and look into things like Care Credit, and ask what other payment options you have. Most dentists and oral surgeons what to be paid right up front though. So your best bet would likely be to do care credit, or put it on a credit card if you have one with a low enough interest rate.. For the work I'm having done I'm taking out a interest free load loan to pay for half of it(yay being able to get loans through military resources), paying for about 25% straight from our savings, and then the other 25% is going on our credit card.. Makes it not as much of a huge hit to our bank account, and makes it seem more "affordable" (even though there is no way we'd ever be able to pay that all up front any time soon. I'd be waiting a good 5+ years to save up enough money to dump $10+k into my teeth without it hurting my family..)
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Senior Member
    As an adult your bones in your jaw are now very likely fused together. Meaning braces alone may not do a darn thing depending on how much you need to have your teeth move to be "perfectly in place.>>

Definitely something to ask and get a second opinion on. However, one of my best friends had braces at age 50 and I've known several who had them in their 40s, so there is a good chance it will be fine. Good luck.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    OP I would recommend asking if it's even possible to get away with doing just braces, and talk about all your options and how realistic/likely to work those options are.. As an adult your bones in your jaw are now very likely fused together. Meaning braces alone may not do a darn thing depending on how much you need to have your teeth move to be "perfectly in place."
    If it is a matter of just moving your jaw forward or back, OP, it may work. With me, I had a Classic Class 2 bite so my jaw would pop every time it opened, hurt horribly. I had TMJ and would clench and grind my teeth from stress.

They put a MARA on me. Hated it because I couldn't close my mouth if I kept it in the original position and I had to re-learn how to open and close my mouth. But it worked.... Now my jaw only pops if I yawn really wide but for the most part it never pops or hurts anymore. But if braces didn't work... I would have had to have surgery and wire my mouth shut for six weeks.

Definitely something to consult an orthodontist and oral surgeon about. Sometimes braces won't work, but I was glad that in my case they did.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  8. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I had them for three years (13-16y/o) and mine were almost 12k but I had some extra stuff done.

9. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Well poop I'm 25. I had no idea they were that expensive! Thank you everyone for such detailed responses it gives me a lot to think about. I have care credit already so that's an option. I'm going to ask the surgeon tomorrow what he thinks is best for me after the wisdom teeth removal!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Well poop I'm 25. I had no idea they were that expensive! Thank you everyone for such detailed responses it gives me a lot to think about. I have care credit already so that's an option. I'm going to ask the surgeon tomorrow what he thinks is best for me after the wisdom teeth removal!
    Payment plans are definitely possible
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast