Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! BAH/Married but currently not living together. Help!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Jump for Joy Help! BAH/Married but currently not living together. Help!

Advertisements
    Hello. My DH is a PFC who will be flying out to Beaufort, SC, this week to check in. He is graduating his schooling tomorrow. We have been married for a year, and he has been in the MC for almost a year now.

I am currently living in TX and he is in CA, for the moment. Is he getting BAH right now because we're married? Or is he getting separation pay? I looked online and I noticed that BAH for Beaufort is $1149 with dependents. And if he's receiving BAH right now, we won't be able to make it on our own in Beaufort. So I strongly believe he's receiving separation pay, but he swears up and down that he's receiving BAH for TX for me. He's stubborn and always has to be right, so I wanted other opinion's from SO's who would know.

Also, how long does it usually take to fill out an on-base housing application, in case we want to do that? In your opinion, is it better to live on base, or off base? If I have anymore questions, I'll post them. But that's mainly what I needed to know.

Thank you in advance for your responses. It's greatly appreciated!
  2. Moderator

I'm in Beaufort! What unit is he going to?

I can help you with whatever you need here. Living on base is definitely in your best interest. There are a ton of homes here on base available too.
  3. Senior Member

He should be getting BAH for his zip code. You only receive family sep when you are separated because of military orders (deployment, certain schools, and other places where you're not allowed to go with him).

The wait list for base housing can be anywhere from no wait to 2 years, Depending on the location.

4. Senior Member
    BAH is calculated from the base the service member is assigned to. being married, if he is away from you due to training/school/deployment/etc, for longer than 30 days, they will typically give a $250 a month separation pay as well
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. Senior Member
    If he is at mos school he should be receiving bah for your location as well as separation pay, but when he checks in he will get bah for his location and lose the sep pay.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you all. But I'm confused. It seems as though you all contradicted each other? I'm confused now.

And his unit is Marine Wing Support Squadron 273.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ARay1219 View Post
    Thank you all. But I'm confused. It seems as though you all contradicted each other? I'm confused now.

Very cool. We know a lot of people in 273. What is his MOS?

While he is in school, he should get BAH for your location. But, once he reports here, it'll be for Beaufort. When are you moving here? Will he be in barracks until you get here? I cannot encourage enough to live on base though.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARay1219 View Post

I think people are confused as to where he is right now. If he is at mos school then it's for your location with sep pay, but if he is at a different school or if you choose to not live together if you have the option then it is for his location with no sep pay.
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    does it say on his LES? I thought somewhere it tells you the BAH and for what zip code?
  10. Senior Member
    Is he living in barracks? Did you have the option to join him for schooling and chose not to?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast