Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Benefits

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Questions about Benefits

Advertisements
    Hello,

I have a question. My significant other and I have a five year old son together. My son is on his DEERS account and he has his own military ID card. As his mother, can I take him to the base and use his card to buy him things? Also, do you know of programs outside of OUR military Kids and NACCRA that provide financial assistance for camps/before after care, and/or private tuition? Finally, are there any military jobs that you can do without joining the military? If so, what are the best websites that list these positions? Thanks for your help!
  2. Senior Member
    Yes, you can get a pass to go on base to use the commissary and exchange to buy things for your son. You are limited to only buying things for him.

As far as jobs go, military jobs require you to join the military. You could apply for a civilian job on base though. What type of job are you interested in?
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Supportiveother View Post
    Hello,

I have a question. My significant other and I have a five year old son together. My son is on his DEERS account and he has his own military ID card. As his mother, can I take him to the base and use his card to buy him things? Also, do you know of programs outside of OUR military Kids and NACCRA that provide financial assistance for camps/before after care, and/or private tuition? Finally, are there any military jobs that you can do without joining the military? If so, what are the best websites that list these positions? Thanks for your help!
    I only have advice for the bold part as I don't have kids but... Are you talking about civilian jobs on base? Or contracting work?
    usajobs.gov lists all government jobs that are currently open. However, they had a hiring freeze back in Jan/Feb and I don't know if it's picking up much. Also, it can be really really hard to get into those jobs as they give preference to veterans/disabled people. And they're not necessarily military-related or on-base jobs.

If want a job working at like a McDonalds on base, then I think you would go through the company. I've seen on-base jobs listed on the Gamestop website.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Thanks for the info

I am interested in education jobs...education administrator or teacher.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supportiveother View Post
    I am interested in education jobs...education administrator or teacher.
    For schools on base most of the staff are not military. Perhaps some are but not all. You will still have to go through the school district to apply and get hired. Working at the base school will be if there are openings. But you do not deal directly with the school (again in general unless the school is a DODD school) to apply and get hired.

Is there a reason you want a job on base?
  6. Senior Member
    CDC jobs can be difficult to get without a spouse preference of some sort. The elementary schools generally are done by the local school districts but there's a few bases that have DOD schools still.
  7. Senior Member
    Yes, very few bases have schools, unless they are overseas. Kids attend the local schools in the civilian neighborhoods where they live.

Is there something special about base jobs that appeals to you? If you tell us why you are so interested in getting on base, we might be able to better understand what you are looking for.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes, very few bases have schools, unless they are overseas.
    There are lots of AF bases that have schools on them for the children living on base, but they are usually part of the local school district rather than DOD schools
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Yes, you can get a pass to go on base to use the commissary and exchange to buy things for your son. You are limited to only buying things for him.

As far as jobs go, military jobs require you to join the military. You could apply for a civilian job on base though. What type of job are you interested in?
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I only have advice for the bold part as I don't have kids but... Are you talking about civilian jobs on base? Or contracting work?
    usajobs.gov lists all government jobs that are currently open. However, they had a hiring freeze back in Jan/Feb and I don't know if it's picking up much. Also, it can be really really hard to get into those jobs as they give preference to veterans/disabled people. And they're not necessarily military-related or on-base jobs.

If want a job working at like a McDonalds on base, then I think you would go through the company. I've seen on-base jobs listed on the Gamestop website.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    CDC jobs can be difficult to get without a spouse preference of some sort. The elementary schools generally are done by the local school districts but there's a few bases that have DOD schools still.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes, very few bases have schools, unless they are overseas. Kids attend the local schools in the civilian neighborhoods where they live.

Is there something special about base jobs that appeals to you? If you tell us why you are so interested in getting on base, we might be able to better understand what you are looking for.
    ditto....
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Look up the school district you are in and you can see what jobs are available. I live by Ft. Hood for example and there are schools on base but they are part of the local school district, they're not really run by the military.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast