Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spousal Unemployment Benefits

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries

Confused Spousal Unemployment Benefits

Advertisements
    Hello All. I have a quick (however complicated?) question lol. I know that in most states military spouses can receive unemployment if they are forced to quit their job due to their spouses PCS. I have currently been on unemployment since January (I was laid off of my corporate job after 5 years there...). Since, technically, I am not quitting my job due to the move, technically, would I still be able to file for unemployment since I am still relocating with my husband to Italy in July? I asked my husband and we have done some research, but we aren't sure and sadly we haven't been able to get through to anyone at the unemployment offices near us in MD (go figure!).

It's really no big deal if I can't as we will still be financially stable, I just wanted to know so there wasn't as much pressure on me to find a job right when we get to Italy. Finding some kind of employment overseas has been one of the big worries and stressers about relocating to Italy as I have always worked and enjoy making my own money :-/

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :-)
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Sorry, I have no clue but

And also I'm jealous that y'all are going to be living in Italy!!
  3. Senior Member
    I was just googling yesterday about getting unemployment for wives overseas due to pcs and pretty much its a no go. You could possibly get it if you quit like a month or less till the report date and its in your letter of resignation, and you would have to file from the last state you were in ,and... only certain states do it....but then from what I read...it pretty much doesn't count once you're out of the country or something like that. You could try, but since you didn't quit because of the PCS...I don't know if it work. You might be able to continue getting your benefits, but you'd probably have to just talk to them directly.
  4. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    If you were laid off in January you might be able to file and receive back pay. As long as you can prove you've been looking for a job.

5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    To my knowledge, you cannot 'switch' the reasons for unemployment.

Your unemployment is not due to PCS, its due to a lay off. You will have to ask the state, but likely you cannot change the reasons for unemployment. The PCS did not cause you to become unemployed, nor is it a cause for you to not achieve employment.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Banned
    Banned
    the beneifits will most likely stop when you PCS overseas. since you will no longer be able to work in the US
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    I was just googling yesterday about getting unemployment for wives overseas due to pcs and pretty much its a no go. You could possibly get it if you quit like a month or less till the report date and its in your letter of resignation, and you would have to file from the last state you were in ,and... only certain states do it....but then from what I read...it pretty much doesn't count once you're out of the country or something like that. You could try, but since you didn't quit because of the PCS...I don't know if it work. You might be able to continue getting your benefits, but you'd probably have to just talk to them directly.
    I got it just fine when we moved to Japan. I ended up only taking it for a few weeks because we determined that we were okay financially without my working and I didn't want to continue taking it if I didn't need it. But it's not true that it is a no-go for moving overseas. And I quit my job several months before we left for Japan. I filed in CA, which is where I had been working. The only real issue was getting the checks and cashing them in time, due to the rules about how long you have before you cash the checks. (I think it was 2 weeks.)

In the section where you one has to fill out jobs they've applied for, I entered any online jobs I had found, or I just wrote that I had found no suitable leads, which was, of course, true. Maybe they weren't supposed to let me do this, but I had a phone interview after I applied (since it was weird that I quit a job and was filling, as that would normally make you ineligible) and as soon as I told the woman my situation, she said I absolutely qualified and she signed me up.

For the OP, I don't understand. You said you are currently on unemployment already. Was that a typo of some sort? Did you mean you are unemployed (but not receiving unemployment checks)? If so, you could apply based on being laid off, not based on the move. Do it before you leave so you can iron out all the details, as necessary.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    From what I read, she is currently getting unemployment (since January) due to have been laid off from her job.

She is now wanting to 'change' her 'reason' for unemployment to being unemployed due to a PCS instead of the lay off.

For these reasons I don't think she'll be entitled to unemployment once she moves. The PCS didn't cause her to become unemployed, the lay off did.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    If you are getting unemployment payments now, OP, then there is no reason to change the reason for your unemployment. However, you will need talk with the UI office to see if you can still receive payments once you are overseas. It looks like MD has a debit card option, which would probably be your best bet so you don't run into the issue of the slow military mail system causing issues with cashing your checks in time.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    To my knowledge, you cannot 'switch' the reasons for unemployment.

Your unemployment is not due to PCS, its due to a lay off. You will have to ask the state, but likely you cannot change the reasons for unemployment. The PCS did not cause you to become unemployed, nor is it a cause for you to not achieve employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    From what I read, she is currently getting unemployment (since January) due to have been laid off from her job.

She is now wanting to 'change' her 'reason' for unemployment to being unemployed due to a PCS instead of the lay off.

For these reasons I don't think she'll be entitled to unemployment once she moves. The PCS didn't cause her to become unemployed, the lay off did.
    ditto....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast