Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance), COLA, and Vacation Question

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance), COLA, and Vacation Question

Advertisements
    My friend just messaged me asking and now I'm thinking hard and cannot remember so I figure someone here will know.

She's pregnant and planning on leaving here during her 8th month to go home to California to deliver and staying until Baby is about a month old (so roughly 3mos gone). During that time, the boat should be here for the most part with some in's and out's but nothing significant, time wise.

The yeoman on the boat told her that if she does that, she will lose insurance (which I'm almost 100% positive that that's not true), her house on base, and her husband will not be able to live in barracks What, of that, is true?

I remember seeing on here at least a year ago, possibly two, about something like this and losing COLA for the location but I can't find anything on the internet about it and she's worried.

I'm also worried because we were planning on going home, as a family, with both kids and my husband for his 30 days of overseas extension leave and then my husband coming back for a 2+mos long mission and me and the kids staying behind for another month or a little more so I'm wondering if this is going to apply to me, as well?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I believe you lose your COLA and you aren't suppose to be gone from your housing for more then 30 days.

You'll need to check with your housing office to see what the regs are for the house being empty that long. I'm sure that gunsgirl would know more.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    I'm still doing some research, but the first thing I have to say is, has your friend checked with the airlines to be sure she will be allowed to travel in her 8th month? Different airlines have different regulations especially if the flight is very long.

Edit to add I found the 2010 (could not find the 2013 version) regulations and page 30-32 may have the answer she is looking for.
    http://www.tricare.mil/tma/downloads/TOPHB.pdf

Also I just thought about the fact that she will be well into her pregnancy and many military hospitals are not taking OB patients. They send them to outside care. Your friend may not find a doctor to continue the end of pregnancy care since this is not a PCS move. Things she needs to research and talk with Tricare about.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    I believe you lose your COLA and you aren't suppose to be gone from your housing for more then 30 days.

You'll need to check with your housing office to see what the regs are for the house being empty that long. I'm sure that gunsgirl would know more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    I'm still doing some research, but the first thing I have to say is, has your friend checked with the airlines to be sure she will be allowed to travel in her 8th month? Different airlines have different regulations especially if the flight is very long.

Edit to add I found the 2010 (could not find the 2013 version) regulations and page 30-32 may have the answer she is looking for.
    http://www.tricare.mil/tma/downloads/TOPHB.pdf

Also I just thought about the fact that she will be well into her pregnancy and many military hospitals are not taking OB patients. They send them to outside care. Your friend may not find a doctor to continue the end of pregnancy care since this is not a PCS move. Things she needs to research and talk with Tricare about.
    ditto....yes she can lose housing after a period of time (depending on the lease, I think ours maybe 45 to 60 days) and yes they will lose COLA. She won't lose insurance. I don't think he'll have to move out of the barracks, but yes, it can apply to you as well. we had a lady go back to her home country for two months and they lost housing and COLA.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hmmm...interesting. I will be passing this all along to her. Secondary question: If you lose your housing after a certain length of time, how are people leaving for full missions of 2+mos and still keeping their housing? I know of quite a few people who have done this both here, Hawaii, and Japan...
  6. Senior Member
    I don't know how it's different across branches, but here you lose cola after 30 days, but you can be gone as long as you want if there is someone here with a key to your house. You just have to do the paperwork with housing.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If housing doesn't find out...they aren't going to do anything. But, if someone turns them in, they don't have people set up to take care of the house, ect, it can turn on them.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    If housing doesn't find out...they aren't going to do anything. But, if someone turns them in, they don't have people set up to take care of the house, ect, it can turn on them.
    Ah, okay. It's them taking a chance, gotcha. I will be passing along this info to my friend and husband. I guess we need to figure out how long it is that we can be away before losing the house. If it's 60days, I'm good with that since that leaves me and the kids another month to be home and not alone but if not, I don't want to chance it.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would check with your housing office to be sure though.
  10. Senior Member
    Ok I found a couple of people who did this in 2011 (from Germany) but rules I think are about the same in pregnancy cases.

1. She will need to talk to the airlines and see what their policy is for travel and what their cutoff time is.

2. She will have to talk to her present OB and see if she can get a health certificate and letter for travel. She will have to let them know when she wants to go and have a signed copy that is not more than 48 hours old (from the research I found). Otherwise they may refuse her at the gate and many airlines require it for any long flight because of the possibility of blood clots etc since new regulations require you to stay seated for most of the flight.

3. It seems she will have to call and find a PCM who will give her a referral to the OB doctor unless she can find an OB who is also a designated PCM

4. If she is past her 3rd Trimester, many OB doctors will not accept her. She will need to find OB doctors who accept Tricare for the area she will be in. She will have to call them and see if they will accept her as a patient.

5. She should check out and hand carry her medical records to her new location (have her put in carryon luggage)

6. As soon as she arrives in the States she needs to enroll in her new region with Tricare---don't call as it often gets messed up and then there may be no coverage and be on them to pay for all.

5 After the baby is born she needs to get several copies of the official copy of the birth certificate for DEERS enrollment etc, a social security card, Passport (I think one is needed) she will need a notarized statement from her Dh to get this, and I think her Dh also has to add the little one to the Command Sponsorship

It really isn't that easy to do what she wants to do and the possibility that paperwork can be messed up is very real. If she decides to go this route she needs to realize that she could be paying the medical bills if it isn't handled correctly. This is possibly what the person who said she would lose her insurance meant.

As for housing, I know that in overseas assignment (like Germany) you are not allowed to leave housing empty for a long period of time. The reasoning is that should something happen like a water pip breaking of some other unforseen happening occur, there is no one there to let housing know so there will be minimal damage. I believe it is the same for guam and other OCONUS locations.

As far as COLA I am not completely sure on that but have heard of people losing it but I am not sure of the circumstances
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast