Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting married and BAH?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Getting married and BAH?

Advertisements
    Hi,

So my fiance is "Turning Blue" in June and right after the ceremony, we are going down to the courthouse to get married. Then the next day, he graduates from AIT. I have already made an appointment at the courthouse for the wedding and then I made an appointment right after at the DEERS office. I already printed out and filled out most of the paperwork (Life Insurance Form, Application DEERS enrollment, Power of Attorney, etc) and I have my two forms of identification etc. My fiance is currently going through OSUT at Fort Benning, Georgia. After graduation he gets about 10 days off and then has to report to Fort Lewis, Washington. I will be going home before moving to Washington. My questions are, when he goes to Washington will he be staying in barracks until I get there? How do we apply for BAH? Do we need to rent an apartment before we can apply for BAH? I am so confused with all of this. We won't have a lot of money to rent an apartment if the BAH doesn't come through for a month or two? Is there something that could help us out with that? Any answers are appreciated!

Thanks!
    ArmyGirl16
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

He will probably have to stay in the barracks. He has to request BAH through his command (at least this is what you do in the navy, not sure for army) and it can take 6 weeks or more to start getting BAH.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by armygirl16 View Post
    Hi,

So my fiance is "Turning Blue" in June and right after the ceremony, we are going down to the courthouse to get married. Then the next day, he graduates from AIT. I have already made an appointment at the courthouse for the wedding and then I made an appointment right after at the DEERS office. I already printed out and filled out most of the paperwork (Life Insurance Form, Application DEERS enrollment, Power of Attorney, etc) and I have my two forms of identification etc. My fiance is currently going through OSUT at Fort Benning, Georgia. After graduation he gets about 10 days off and then has to report to Fort Lewis, Washington. I will be going home before moving to Washington. My questions are, when he goes to Washington will he be staying in barracks until I get there? How do we apply for BAH? Do we need to rent an apartment before we can apply for BAH? I am so confused with all of this. We won't have a lot of money to rent an apartment if the BAH doesn't come through for a month or two? Is there something that could help us out with that? Any answers are appreciated!

Thanks!
    ArmyGirl16
    First, welcome to MSOS. When you get a chance, head over to the Newbie forum here: Newbies and introduce yourself.

As for your questions, a lot will depend on the command. Since he won't check into his command until after you are married, he will probably be authorized to receive BAH and find his own accommodations. He will have an in-processing checklist to complete when he arrives, and a visit to housing will be one of the places he will have to visit. Even though his orders will be unaccompanied, since they were issued before the marriage, housing and his personnel office will make the adjustments so that he can get on the family housing waiting list (if you guys want) and begin receiving BAH.

This hiccup wil be when you first arrive - normally, members with accompanied orders are able to make reservations for TLF on arrival while unaccompanied members are assigned directly into a barracks/dorm room. With unaccompanied orders, he won't be able to make those reservations. I would suggest calling the gaining installation as soon as your in DEERS to see if they can at least get you into something on space-A basis, so you have a place to stay and don't have to find your own hotel in the area.

BAH is paid in arrears - meaning the BAH allowance for the month of May is paid in June. So you may not actually see it in his paycheck for a longer period of time that you anticipate. He will be authorized BAH from the date you are married, there is just no guarantee when it will show up. As a general rule of thumb, changes made in the finance system before the 7th of the month will be reflected in mid-month pay, and changes made between then and about the 21st of the month will be reflected in EOM pay. But it's important to remember that the BAH is paid in arrears, so the BAH he would be authorized for June wouldn't show in his pay until July.

I know that some of that could be confusing with acronyms and stuff. If you need me to clarify anything, please ask!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    first about the BAH; once he gets you into DEERS and he gets you added to the system you will ve 'elegible" for BAH. but because he will be single at the time he graduates AIT, he cannot start the BAH until he reports to the first unit.

BAH is paid in arrears- so if he checks into the first unit mid june, you will not see the BAH until at least AUG first.
    it can take 6-8 weeks for the BAH to start.

whether they allow him to live in the barracks will depend on the command- if he is reporting with out you, he will be considered a GEO BACH and they may not allow him to live in the barracks, or they will let him live in the barracks but not for free, and they will charge him about 22 dollars a day. whether he is collecting BAH or not.

for BAH you do not need a lease for it to start- he will take care of that when he does his inprocessing.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armygirl16 View Post
    I have already made an appointment at the courthouse for the wedding and then I made an appointment right after at the DEERS office.
    Did you ask the DEERS office what forms they will require in order to get you entered into the system? You will need your marriage certificate. Did you ask the courthouse whether the marriage certificate will be issued the day of the marriage or if there is a processing time and you have to go back later to pick it up or have it mailed to you?