Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Military Spouse ID

1. Regular Member

Confused Military Spouse ID

Advertisements
    Just talked to DH and he told me I need to get my military spouse ID. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about doing this. He said he did all of the paperwork and I just needed to go to the base near my town to get it. He didn't have much time to elaborate. I feel like there is more to it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    Unless you have a POA he has to be with you to get it. At least, that's how it's always been for me (army).

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pftube View Post
    Unless you have a POA he has to be with you to get it. At least, that's how it's always been for me (army).
    Navy is the same..do yiou have a poa?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    OP you need to call the base closets to you to figure out what you need to bring and if you need POA. While there is supposed to be a "standard" for each branch, you will find that different places sometimes do things differently.

The things that tend to be consistent is a gov't issued photo ID, proof of marriage, and proof of citizenship. Most, but not all, places will also require either your DH to be with you or for you to have a POA. The requirements of what the POA needs to say also differ... sometimes a general one is fine and sometimes they ask for one that specifically outlines being able to handle matters dealing with the military (like getting an ID). Additionally sometimes they want you to have the ID form with you and sometimes its fine if everything is just already in the system.

I was able to get mine with the above forms of ID, marriage certificate, and a DD1172 (ID request form) already filled out by DH and notarized. He wasn't with me and I did not have a POA at the time.
  5. Senior Member
    If he is at basic you should be able to do it without him, but definitely call the base and make sure you have all the paperwork you need. You can go to any branch to get it. DH is army and I got mine at a coast guard base since that was what was closest.
  6. Senior Member
    If he is at BMT, you may not need POA. I am not familiar with how AF does it as DH and I were not together when he went through BMT. However, I was with my exH during BCT and I received an envelope containing all of the information I needed to get my ID. I went to a national guard base to have my ID done. I needed my DL, social security card and our marriage certificate. Call the nearest ID office to find out exactly what paperwork you will need to get the ID.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I needed a POA when Dh was at Navy Basic. Call the base and ask.
  8. Senior Member
    I didn't need a POA to get my ID when the husband was at AIT. He sent me a form (I don't recall what it was), and with that and my drivers license I was fine. I didn't need my birth certificate or marriage certificate, but I brought them anyway.

When he was deployed and the son lost his ID, I did need a POA to get a new one issued. But yeah, call the base. Sometimes you have to make an appointment.
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns
  9. Regular Member
    Thank you all for your help!
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber