Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting married soon... Benefits questions.

1. Senior Member

Getting married soon... Benefits questions.

Advertisements
    Ok, I have a few questions. DF and I will be married June 18th. What exactly is the process to get me covered through Tricare? I currently pay for my own private insurance and am wondering if I need to set aside money for the July premium, or if I'll be covered by then.

Also, do I need a birth certificate to get a military dependent ID? If so, I need to start working on that...
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Ok, I have a few questions. DF and I will be married June 18th. What exactly is the process to get me covered through Tricare? I currently pay for my own private insurance and am wondering if I need to set aside money for the July premium, or if I'll be covered by then.

Also, do I need a birth certificate to get a military dependent ID? If so, I need to start working on that...
    Yes to birth certificate. Do you want Tricare prime or standard or other?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    You'll need your birth certificate.

When you're enrolled in DEERS, you'll automatically have TRICARE Standard. So, if you enroll as soon as you get married, you'll be covered.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    you will need Birth certificate, SS Card and marriage License. ( the official one)
    your DH will take those to get you enrolled in DEERS and Tricare.
    you will need 2 proofs if ID to get your ID card.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Yes to birth certificate. Do you want Tricare prime or standard or other?
    Honestly I have no idea. What's the difference? I googled but I'm on my phone since the electrician is here and the power is off.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    tricare prime is all free but you are limited to who you can see and need referrals for everything. tricare standard has co-pays and deductables but you see who you want and have no need for referrals.
    everything is covered the same, but you have a lot more freedom with standard.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    tricare prime is all free but you are limited to who you can see and need referrals for everything. tricare standard has co-pays and deductables but you see who you want and have no need for referrals.
    everything is covered the same, but you have a lot more freedom with standard.
    Are you going to be living near a big base, OP? Since I'm in San Diego, I just went with Prime since the Navy Medical here is really good. But, if you have specific docs you want to see, standard is probably better.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Prime you don't need a referral for OB (annual exam or preg) or pediatrician.
    I've needed a referral once or twice.

Standard scares me, because i've never had to 'find' my own doctor, wouldn't know where to begin. But that's irrelevant here.

Which one you choose is personal preference really, and possibly location as I'm finding (from friends) that doctors that take tricare standard are fewer and fewer.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    Prime = free, but less freedom on doctor choice. For me, that's not a big deal since I don't need any special treatments, don't plan on getting pregnant anytime soon, and wouldn't know any off-base doctors out here anyway. There are some cases with Prime where their on-base facility will be full so they'll allow you to see an off-base doctor, but that's chance-y.

Standard = co-pays and deductibles, but you have more freedom in picking doctors. If your current doctor takes Tricare and you want to stay with them, it's probably best to stay on Standard.

Either way- as soon as he enrolls you in DEERS and you get your ID card (which you can do this ASAP after you get your marriage license), you will be automatically enrolled in Tricare Standard and would not need to pay your private insurance for July. If you wanted to risk ~20 days, you wouldn't really need to pay it for June, either. If you want to enroll in Prime, it's just a matter of submitting an application (or going to the military treatment facility and having them enroll you, which is what I did). If they receive the application before June 20th, then you will be enrolled by July 1st- but most likely you won't make that cutoff, so you will be enrolled beginning August 1st. But while you are waiting for Prime to be effective, you will still be covered under Standard.
  10. Senior Member
    Ok, this is all really awesome information. Currently DB is stationed in Boulder because he's in the MECEP program for the Marine Corps. There obviously aren't any military bases close by (I think the nearest is Ft. Collins) so I'm guessing Standard would be the way to go for me?

Does the Prime/Standard thing apply to the service member? I'm pretty sure DF has no idea about the differences, so I'm wondering if he has the option or if it's different for him than it will be for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast