Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriCare Standard Birth Control Coverage. Young Military Spouse. Please Help!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

TriCare Standard Birth Control Coverage. Young Military Spouse. Please Help!

Advertisements
    Hello, my name is Danielle. My husband is a US Marine. I'm eighteen years old, and I had a few questions about the coverage of birth control with TriCare Standard. We just had our first son back in December, and I'm really not wanting anymore children for a long time. I'm wanting to get the Implanon birth control, but I know it's a few hundred dollars. I was just wondering, how much of that cost does TriCare Standard cover? That way I know if I'm capable of affording it. And, if not, I can look for other options. I just feel that it would be the best birth control method for myself, but I'm not sure if I can afford it or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

As far as I know tricare standard covers a very large portion. You can't know how much unless you speak with your doctor to see how much they charge for the procedure. Speak with an OB and speak with tricare. That's the best way to find out. Everyone will have different experiences.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I've talked to my OB/GYN, and he told me to speak with my TriCare provider more on the subject to know for sure. But every time I call the number listed on their website, all I can get is a recording. I never get an actual person to talk to.
  4. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARay1219 View Post
    I've talked to my OB/GYN, and he told me to speak with my TriCare provider more on the subject to know for sure. But every time I call the number listed on their website, all I can get is a recording. I never get an actual person to talk to.
    press 0 a bunch of times until you get "your call may be monitored for quality assurance" and then you should get someone. that's what i always do.

5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Haha, OK, I'll have to try that. Thank you!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    the cost will be about 10-15% of the allowable charges, and based on whether you have met your annual deductable -
    your dr's office can tell you what the costs are for the actual procedure and then just figure the 10-15%

for instance my Dr's visit with a dermatology procedure was 245 dollars - I paid 36.00 ( 15% because I used an out of network doctor)
    and I had met my annual deductable already.
  7. Senior Member
    If you are really concerned with cost, you could switch to Prime. I paid zero for doctors visits, and $9 a month for pills at an off-post pharmacy.

Since you mention not wanting more kids for a long while, you might also consider an IUD. Tricare will cover the procedure and then there are no additional costs at all. I don't know about Standard, but several friends did it on Prime at it cost them nothing at all.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Regular Member
    I'm looking into that same birth control, except I understand that Implanon has been discontinued and replaced with Nexplanon (only difference is that the Nexplanon apparently is detectable under an x-ray whereas Implanon wasn't). I think they had a few cases of it migrating to somewhere else in the arm so they had to make that change, now all is well. How is it working for you, if you've gotten it already, if you don't mind my asking?
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I got implanon, and now a new nexplanon (new name, same product). I have tricare prime but I am sure it's affordable even under standard. You could probably go to the base women's clinic, even with standard, to get it without a copay. Just call the women's clinic, and tricare to see your options.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I can't get on TriCare Prime right now because my husband and I don't live together. He doesn't graduate schooling until June, so I'm still in Texas. There are no bases nearby, so I'm not sure what else I can do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast