Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition for USMC TA

1. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.

Petition for USMC TA

Advertisements
    I've seen this floating around my Facebook, so I figured I should share it.

Let the U.S. Marines keep their Tuition Assistance - Sign the Petition!

I know it's very up in the air with them either just needing a new contract or TA actually being cut, and I know these petition things can be looked at as something of a joke sometimes, but I think it's worth the attempt at least.

Apparently The Honorable Ray Mabus, the Secretary of the Navy, does not believe in equality as I do. According to ALNAV 014/13 Paragraph 3, Section E, his instructions are to:

E. CEASE NEW USMC ENROLLMENTS IN VOLUNTARY EDUCATION TUITION ASSISTANCE

Per the instruction from the Secretary of the Navy, U.S. Marines will no longer be allowed to use their Tuition Assistance education benefits while on active duty. They are the only branch of the armed forces to be affected thus far. If Soldiers, Airmen, and Sailors are allowed to continue their education the Marines should have the same benefit.

The Department of the Navy should not treat Marines like second-class citizens. All service members are equal and they all deserve the same benefits.

2. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.

3. Banned
    Banned
    it won't make a difference- if they need to cut money they will cut the most "non-essential" programs before cutting the needed programs.

Right now TA is nonessential to running the United States Government and honestly I would rather see TA go away then see tricare or dental be effected.
  4. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it won't make a difference- if they need to cut money they will cut the most "non-essential" programs before cutting the needed programs.

Right now TA is nonessential to running the United States Government and honestly I would rather see TA go away then see tricare or dental be effected.
    It may make a difference. The reason behind cutting TA versus anything else is that the government thinks it's nonessential because not as many members use it. If they see 10,000 signatures wanting it then they could reevaluate. Nothing says they have to, or that they even will, but IMO it's worth the two seconds to sign this and share it on Facebook rather than sitting around doing nothing.

5. Banned
    Banned
    over all TA is not essential to the running of the united states military. give me a petition to sign to protect the CDC, or tricare or dental, retirement benefits, VA benefits. those I would sign.

there are more important things to protect than TA.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    over all TA is not essential to the running of the united states military. give me a petition to sign to protect the CDC, or tricare or dental, retirement benefits, VA benefits. those I would sign.

Totally have to agree with gunsgirl on this one.
    TA is not essential, TA is relatively new (less than 20 years old) and the military can function without it, members can get education without it, etc.
    I'd much rather see TA cut to save other more essential programs (as gunsgirl mentioned.. Tricare, dental, retirement, etc).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.

Also things that don't currently need protecting because they're remaining in place.

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by kprime View Post
    Also things that don't currently need protecting because they're remaining in place.
    ??? HUH???

The programs mentioned are mediocre as of late and need more funding to actually provide for those that need it. Tricare for life is going up, dental costs are going up, CDC.. no comments needed.... To me, those are all far more beneficial things that need more funding, than saving TA...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    ??? HUH???

The programs mentioned are mediocre as of late and need more funding to actually provide for those that need it. Tricare for life is going up, dental costs are going up, CDC.. no comments needed.... To me, those are all far more beneficial things that need more funding, than saving TA...
    Then start a petition for those too if you feel so strongly for it. Just because prices are going up doesn't mean they're being taken away completely. You can still have it if you want it which is less to say for TA and those who really want it. If you read in the other thread there are countless men and women who have been going to school and now are completely blindsided and have to start saving.

I never said they can't go to school without it; if you read in the thread about the Army TA being cut I said it's very much possible. I'm just saying it shouldn't be cut completely, especially out of the blue, and if people want to sign this petition they can and should, but if you don't then hey that's fine your men don't want free college and you don't want to support those who do. I get you think things are more important. I just think they're all important.

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by kprime View Post
    Then start a petition for those too if you feel so strongly for it. Just because prices are going up doesn't mean they're being taken away completely. You can still have it if you want it which is less to say for TA and those who really want it. If you read in the other thread there are countless men and women who have been going to school and now are completely blindsided and have to start saving.

I never said they can't go to school without it; if you read in the thread about the Army TA being cut I said it's very much possible. I'm just saying it shouldn't be cut completely, especially out of the blue, and if people want to sign this petition they can and should, but if you don't then hey that's fine your men don't want free college and you don't want to support those who do. I get you think things are more important. I just think they're all important.

Your reading way more into what i commented.
    Never said TA wasn't important, but in a time where cuts are being made it is the LEAST important of things to keep. My husband thankfully got to take advantage of TA, and the AF hasn't yet cut it anyway, but as I mentioned in that that other thread, it has already been told to SNCOs that TA will be going away, just a matter of when.

If it was a time where we weren't facing furloughs and govt shutdowns, i would be all for such a petition, but sadly we are in a furlough and a potential shutdown weeks away, so yeah, I think TA should be cut, even if just temporarily. There is so much more I can say, but this is not the thread for it.

I was simply agreeing with gunsgirl about the petition. I wouldn't even sign a petition to keep AF TA should it ever come about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast