Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing First Timer!

1. Senior Member

PCSing First Timer!

Advertisements
    Hello! We are down to less than two months before we head to TX and this is going to be our first time doing an actual PCS move. I was wondering, since my hubby doesn't get to attend any travel briefings until he returns from Recruiting school, what kind of process we are looking at here. We are doing a DITY move so I believe that makes it a little different. I know, from what other's have told me, that we will receive DLA (which from my understanding is to help offset the cost of moving into a new place), per diem and mileage for our trip there. Once we are at the new place, we would get 10 days of lodging. And then for the DITY part, a percentage of the weight up front? I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I am just trying to get a better grasp as to what to expect! Thanks y'all!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather0315 View Post
    Hello! We are down to less than two months before we head to TX and this is going to be our first time doing an actual PCS move. I was wondering, since my hubby doesn't get to attend any travel briefings until he returns from Recruiting school, what kind of process we are looking at here. We are doing a DITY move so I believe that makes it a little different. I know, from what other's have told me, that we will receive DLA (which from my understanding is to help offset the cost of moving into a new place), per diem and mileage for our trip there. Once we are at the new place, we would get 10 days of lodging. And then for the DITY part, a percentage of the weight up front? I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I am just trying to get a better grasp as to what to expect! Thanks y'all!
    you are correct about the allowances-
    DLA is to help offset the costs of moving INTO a new place
    per diem is to help cover the costs of travel enroute
    MALT is to help cover the costs of gas and wear and tear on the POV.
    the HHL is 10 days nonchargable leave-- no allowance for this
    TLE is to help cover the costs of lodging at the old and new duty station

for the PPM ( formerly called a DITY) you are given 60% of the estimated weight. you are reimbursed ONLY for the actual weight you move. you will need weight tix ( depending on branch) either both at origin or empty at origin and full at destination, or empty and full at destination. please contact your transportation office for this rule for your branch.
    the current rates for cross country moves for 8,000 lbs is 57 - 63 cents a pound.
    also any profit from the PPM will be taxed as income at a rate of 25%.

take a look at the relocation forum for more info on moving.