Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New wife of National Guard

  1. Regular Member
    AliCates's Avatar
    AliCates is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    32
    #1

    Help New wife of National Guard

    Advertisements
    What all do you have to do, or tell your husband to get done (tehe), to get all set up once you're married?

    We got married in December and the hubs in deploying in Mayish, but has made no progress in getting all the military stuff done so I need to know what all he needs to do so I can light the fire under his booty.
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Rissa*Rawr's Avatar
    Rissa*Rawr is offline
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    25,582
    #2
    You need to be entered into DEERS, which will also put you on Tricare Standard. If you want to be on Prime (full coverage) you either have to call or go to the Tricare office. Then you need to get your ID, which you'll need to bring your social security card, birth certificate, marriage license & a form of photo ID with you. And with him deploying, I would also suggest getting a Power of Attorney. Also, if you have your own car & it doesn't already have some, have base decals put on.

    "Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Lover.'s Avatar
    Lover. is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,250
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    You need to be entered into DEERS, which will also put you on Tricare Standard. If you want to be on Prime (full coverage) you either have to call or go to the Tricare office. Then you need to get your ID, which you'll need to bring your social security card, birth certificate, marriage license & a form of photo ID with you. And with him deploying, I would also suggest getting a Power of Attorney. Also, if you have your own car & it doesn't already have some, have base decals put on.
    With NG you're not automatically put on Tricare. You have to request coverage, theres a form for it. It'll be Tricare Reserve Select and it's about $200/month for a family. When he is activated for deployment Tricare will switch over to Tricare Prime or Tricare Prime Remote (if you're not near a MTF) and you won't have a monthly fee for it.

  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Rissa*Rawr's Avatar
    Rissa*Rawr is offline
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    25,582
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa♥ View Post
    With NG you're not automatically put on Tricare. You have to request coverage, theres a form for it. It'll be Tricare Reserve Select and it's about $200/month for a family. When he is activated for deployment Tricare will switch over to Tricare Prime or Tricare Prime Remote (if you're not near a MTF) and you won't have a monthly fee for it.
    Ah, my mistake. I asked DH if it was the same process & he said yes. Shows how much a Navy guy knows about NG

    "Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    Lover.'s Avatar
    Lover. is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,250
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Ah, my mistake. I asked DH if it was the same process & he said yes. Shows how much a Navy guy knows about NG
    I was going to respond initially but I suck at writing responses and figured someone else would.

    Also, once you're enrolled in DEERS they'll take $5/month for life insurance for you. His first LES after you're in DEERS will have the $5/month taken out from the month you were married. So probably $15 will be deducted from his pay, and then just the $5/month from then on.

    I found that out because DH and I didn't enroll myself into DEERS for about a year after we were married. It was quite a shock when there was about $60 taken from his pay.

    ETA: http://www.tricare.mil/trs
    http://www.tricare.mil/tpr
    Last edited by Lover.; 02-26-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added links.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •