Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TriCare Question...

1. Regular Member

TriCare Question...

Advertisements
    Just wondering, would a husband's TriCare pay for his wife's miscarriage, if the miscarriage happened while he was in the middle of BMT? Since I guess it happened technically before SHE was placed under the TriCare or had her military ID? Thanks for any info...
  2. Moderator

Tricare enrollment is backdated to entry to BMT. I'm sure if he were to fail out they could retract it or something, but yes, she should be covered for her medical care while he is gone, using his SSN as her account #.
  3. Regular Member
    Thanks very much for your response! A mind is now at ease
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Tricare enrollment is backdated to entry to BMT. I'm sure if he were to fail out they could retract it or something, but yes, she should be covered for her medical care while he is gone, using his SSN as her account #.
    Oops ok I have another question... what if the wife hadn't yet enrolled in TriCare when the medical incident took place? If she enrolls say a month after the incident, would Tricare backtrack and cover the services anyways, because her husband was in BMT at the time of the miscarriage? Basically... I am the one who miscarried, and I'm now discovering that my employer had enrolled me in their insurance unbeknownst to me, making my current civilian secondary insurance (that I thought to be my primary) probably useless.... I may be left holding a bag of medical bills that I thought all this time would be covered. Thanks old employer....

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Oops ok I have another question... what if the wife hadn't yet enrolled in TriCare when the medical incident took place? If she enrolls say a month after the incident, would Tricare backtrack and cover the services anyways, because her husband was in BMT at the time of the miscarriage? Basically... I am the one who miscarried, and I'm now discovering that my employer had enrolled me in their insurance unbeknownst to me, making my current civilian secondary insurance (that I thought to be my primary) probably useless.... I may be left holding a bag of medical bills that I thought all this time would be covered. Thanks old employer....

From my experience, my civilian insurance has always been my primary insurance, with tricare prime being my secondary insurance.
    Tricare told me to obtain treatment as my primary insurance dictated, and they would pay secondary. I've never had any problems with this.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post

TriCare is effective on the date that your husband started BMT regardless of when the paperwork was processed.

TriCare is always secondary to any other insurance that you have. For example, if you have Blue Cross Blue Shield, the claim would go to them for payment first. Whatever is leftover for payment would be sent to TriCare and whatever could be covered by TriCare on the remaining bill would be paid out.

Edited to add: TriCare Standard is effective on the date he began BMT. If you enrolled in Prime, the effective date is based on when the paperwork was processed. But, you've had coverage since day one of BMT. TriCare Standard would be in effect until the effective date of TriCare Prime.