Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Base Housing in Hawaii?

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Base Housing in Hawaii?

Advertisements
    DH can't apply for housing until he graduates from MOS school next week. His orders are for Kaneohe Bay. I've left several messages for the housing office to ask if they would be able to tell me how long the wait list is. So far no one has gotten back to me. He is an E2 and it's just the two of us. Does anyone here have an idea of how long the list is for his rank and the fact that it's just the two of us. I've heard that the housing list is over 6 months for SNCO housing but obviously that doesn't apply to us. I don't know if it's true or not but can he apply for housing at another base? If the housing list is that long, are there any places we should be looking for off-base housing?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When we moved to Hawaii, we were scared about the waitlist because online it was showing over six months for us (E4, just us at the time). DH moved ahead of me by about a month, the second or third week we got there he looked at houses to choose. The actual wait time was only three weeks. We spent 9 days together in his barracks room (approved) until our house was ready.
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    When we moved to Hawaii, we were scared about the waitlist because online it was showing over six months for us (E4, just us at the time). DH moved ahead of me by about a month, the second or third week we got there he looked at houses to choose. The actual wait time was only three weeks. We spent 9 days together in his barracks room (approved) until our house was ready.
    That gives me hope that it'll only be a month or two! He will be in Hawaii by this time next week. He said he will know more info once he gets there and starts the check in process. If it's just a month or two wait, the plan is for me to stay in NJ until there is a house. If it's longer than that, then we'll come up with a new plan. Thanks!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    That gives me hope that it'll only be a month or two! He will be in Hawaii by this time next week. He said he will know more info once he gets there and starts the check in process. If it's just a month or two wait, the plan is for me to stay in NJ until there is a house. If it's longer than that, then we'll come up with a new plan. Thanks!
    You're on his orders, right? If you are, you guys will be approved TLA (hotel time), DLA (daily living allowance), and one other thing that I can't remember. Make sure he asks about that because if it's only a month or two, you all will have the option of living in a hotel until your house is ready and so long as you're in a hotel approved by the TLA people, you'll be fine. The DLA is money that you get according ot the number of days you are displaced in the hotel to help pay for food (Daily Living Allowance).
  5. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

You're on his orders, right? If you are, you guys will be approved TLA (hotel time), DLA (daily living allowance), and one other thing that I can't remember. Make sure he asks about that because if it's only a month or two, you all will have the option of living in a hotel until your house is ready and so long as you're in a hotel approved by the TLA people, you'll be fine. The DLA is money that you get according ot the number of days you are displaced in the hotel to help pay for food (Daily Living Allowance).
    Yup I'm on his orders. When he gets back from the field tonight, I'm going to call him and tell him to ask about TLA & DLA. I knew they would pay for something but I wasn't sure and neither was he. Where would I find a list of TLA approved hotels? Thank you for all of this info. I really appreciate it!

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yup I'm on his orders. When he gets back from the field tonight, I'm going to call him and tell him to ask about TLA & DLA. I knew they would pay for something but I wasn't sure and neither was he. Where would I find a list of TLA approved hotels? Thank you for all of this info. I really appreciate it!
    I'm pretty sure you have to call the base lodging first to see if there's an opening, if there is, you have to stay there. If not, they set up your reservations and then you'll need to pick up a letter through them to submit with your hotel receipt every 10 days so that you'll get paid that money. This is how it worked here in Guam, not totally sure if it's the same through Marines as Navy but it's a start.
  7. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

I'm pretty sure you have to call the base lodging first to see if there's an opening, if there is, you have to stay there. If not, they set up your reservations and then you'll need to pick up a letter through them to submit with your hotel receipt every 10 days so that you'll get paid that money. This is how it worked here in Guam, not totally sure if it's the same through Marines as Navy but it's a start.
    Ok thanks! You're right, it is a start because before all of the info you have given me, I was clueless.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ok thanks! You're right, it is a start because before all of the info you have given me, I was clueless.
    No problem. Just sharing what we SHOULD have known moving there Do y'all have a sponsor in Hawaii to help you with the move? I think to start, have him call housing to find out about TLA/DLA. If they don't know, they should be able to put you in contact with the people who can help you.
  9. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

No problem. Just sharing what we SHOULD have known moving there Do y'all have a sponsor in Hawaii to help you with the move? I think to start, have him call housing to find out about TLA/DLA. If they don't know, they should be able to put you in contact with the people who can help you.
    I don't think we have a sponsor. I'll have to ask DH. He's been in the field the past two days to complete part of his final for graduation, so I'll ask him about that when he calls me tonight. I'll have him call housing on Monday to find out about the TLA & DLA. There should be a book titled PCSing 101 or PCSing Made Easy. I'm sure it would make a fortune. It's like a mini battle just to find out basic information.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think we have a sponsor. I'll have to ask DH. He's been in the field the past two days to complete part of his final for graduation, so I'll ask him about that when he calls me tonight. I'll have him call housing on Monday to find out about the TLA & DLA. There should be a book titled PCSing 101 or PCSing Made Easy. I'm sure it would make a fortune. It's like a mini battle just to find out basic information.
    The first PCS is where you learn what to do for next time but I promise Hawaii is totally worth it. I don't know how far in advance he got these orders but DH got our first orders to HI 33 days before he needed to report. We were 'promised' orders to GA (I lived in SC) and then these popped up so we planned and had a wedding and moved DH and then I followed about a month later. It was NUTTY and I didn't have anywhere for help so I love helping people with PCS now.

Your DH should have a huge packet of info on pack outs, PCS, TLA, DLA, everything with his orders. He'll need to sit down and sort through about 40 pages of info but it's all in there or the numbers to who he needs to talk to are in there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast