Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH

1. Senior Member

BAH

Advertisements
    So DB is in AIT right now, and we are planning on getting an apartment when he gets back in April because we will both be going to college in the same city next fall. He has been telling me that he will be able to get BAH when he gets back as long as his name is on the lease, however, upon doing my own research it doesn't seem like National Guard members get BAH unless they're on active duty for so many days out of the year. Can anyone help me clear this up?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sammi2012 View Post
    So DB is in AIT right now, and we are planning on getting an apartment when he gets back in April because we will both be going to college in the same city next fall. He has been telling me that he will be able to get BAH when he gets back as long as his name is on the lease, however, upon doing my own research it doesn't seem like National Guard members get BAH unless they're on active duty for so many days out of the year. Can anyone help me clear this up?
    When he "gets back" in April what will he be doing? A civilian job? Working as full time guard? Is he using a GI bill to go to school?
  3. Senior Member
    I'm not really sure about National Guard, but in the Navy you can only get BAH if you have dependents or are E5 and above.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    When he "gets back" in April what will he be doing? A civilian job? Working as full time guard? Is he using a GI bill to go to school?
    All this.
  5. Senior Member
    He'll be using his GI Bill to go to school and will have a civilian job as well.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    NVM just re-read... if he is using a GI bill or will be full time guard there is a chance he can get $ for housing. But if not, and he is just going as a reg. student, he will not be getting BAH.

If he is going to get a degree and enter into the ROTC program its possible he will get a scholarship that covers housing/gives him a stipend.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sammi2012 View Post
    He'll be using his GI Bill to go to school and will have a civilian job as well.
    I believe (and someone Im sure will correct me if I am wrong) that the GI bill does come with an allotment for housing. I don't know how its calculated though.
  8. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    I believe (and someone Im sure will correct me if I am wrong) that the GI bill does come with an allotment for housing. I don't know how its calculated though.
    DH got BAH while he was using his GI bill. It was not as much as it "normally" would have been, I don't think, but it was something.

9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    If you go to school full-time, on campus, the BAH with the 9-11 GI Bill is the E-5 rate based on the zipcode of the university. It becomes smaller if you go less than full-time or take online classes.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    If you go to school full-time, on campus, the BAH with the 9-11 GI Bill is the E-5 rate based on the zipcode of the university. It becomes smaller if you go less than full-time or take online classes.
    Also any school breaks count against the BAH. So for spring break, winter break you wont get any BAH for that week so the monthly amount will be less.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast