Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOOSING MONEY !! Fica and Other tax increases -How did you guys make out ?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

LOOSING MONEY !! Fica and Other tax increases -How did you guys make out ?

Advertisements
    welp DH called me to inform me that his pay was 100$ short !!! mind you he just recieved his january increase and his pay id 100$ shorter then it was before the increase . this 2% percent really hurts , I lost 70$ every pay and just got a 5% raise - yet Im taking home 70$ less then before the raise - SMH - didnt think it was gooing to be that bad but thats over 300$ a month lost in income in our household
  2. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Our pay went up so we won't have to make any changes.
  3. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it really realy sucks. Fortunately DH is starting a new job in a couple weeks so we won't actually miss the money from the taxes.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    DH will lose 50 a pay day, but we will get it all back, it is not a big deal.
  5. Senior Member
    I feel you ,,I just got a 5% raise as well but won't even get to notice it,,such is life
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    DH recently got a raise so even then he's still making more money.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Navylife View Post
    welp DH called me to inform me that his pay was 100$ short !!! mind you he just recieved his january increase and his pay id 100$ shorter then it was before the increase . this 2% percent really hurts , I lost 70$ every pay and just got a 5% raise - yet Im taking home 70$ less then before the raise - SMH - didnt think it was gooing to be that bad but thats over 300$ a month lost in income in our household

Is he active duty?

Not sure why his was such a huge difference, I mean the entire military got a 1.9% (I think it's 1.9) pay raise, so it would even out with the 2% social security tax increase.

Your hubby must make more than $100K a year.. because a $100 decrease with a 2% soc sec tax increase means he gets paid (base pay) roughly $5000 every two weeks...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    We went down $1 of pay. But really with allotments going out he's making more since BAH went up about $100. Not a big enough deal for us to complain. We do have friends who are losing $100 per pay period but her husband also got a TIS raise and makes more money than my husband. I know state taxes in AK changed for withholding (unemployment I believe) so that made a difference for some people too.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Is he active duty?

Not sure why his was such a huge difference, I mean the entire military got a 1.9% (I think it's 1.9) pay raise, so it would even out with the 2% social security tax increase.

Your hubby must make more than $100K a year.. because a $100 decrease with a 2% soc sec tax increase means he gets paid (base pay) roughly $5000 every two weeks...
    Yeah, this. He got a 1.9% raise (if he's active duty) and then a 2.0% tax (which is only on base pay), so if his pay should be pretty much the same as it's always been.

And that 2% is only on base pay, so if he makes 18k/year in base pay, he'd pay $360 more per year, or 30/mo. And again, that would be pretty much entirely offset by the 1.9% pay raise.

And if he's not active duty, then he'd still only be paying $30/mo more for every 18k in annual salary.

So it sounds like something else is up. Could it be that your paychecks were affected by the couple of days before the deal was struck? For those days (or maybe only 1 day) taxes were higher. Your check my be reflecting that, but that won't be permanent. It could also be an increase in state taxes, or some other change in your filing status. Because what you posted doesn't make sense with the 2% SSI increase, unless you guys are making millions.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I'm losing about $200 a month. It's very upsetting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast