Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about the GI Bill?

1. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!

Can we talk about the GI Bill?

Advertisements
    So, I am tentatively getting ready to go back to school for a degree in radiology tech. And I plan/hope to use DH's GI bill that he never used (he lost the original paperwork so they refused to pay any of his schooling). I'm nervous though... we both have pretty decent sized loans already, and though those aren't burdening right now, I am not ready to pay for another degree on top of those. I definitely need to know that this is going to work like it should before I jump in.

I realize I need to speak with an advisor at the school I'll be beginning at, but was hoping ya'll could give me any basic insight you have. Have any of you used your hubs' bill?
    I'm mostly concerned that a) I will definitely be switching schools in the middle of the degree. I'll start out taking classes online at the school my mom works at to do all the pre-reqs before hopefully getting admitted to the college near me to take the core classes and labs. Is it okay to switch schools? and b) I'm not going to be doing this whiz-bang-boom full time student. I'll probably take like two classes a semester. It might take a while. Is there a time constraint?

Feel free to tell me anything you know
    I'm running off for a hike right now, but really appreciate any responses and will get back to this in the evening!
  2. Senior Member
    I THINK there is a 36 month limit to use the gibill.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Did he already transfer the GI Bill to you? Is he still in the military?

Aside from that, if you can use it, if you are a 1/2 time student (which is what you described) you get partial amount or benefit. Basically that means you don't get the full amount allotted to you.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I am not sure about switching schools. I am planning to use my dh's (he just transferred it to me, and now I'm waiting for my application at the school to be accepted for Fall semester)......I got my associates and paid out of pocket/small scholarships so now I'll be doing my last 2-3 years at the same college (hopefully, barring orders).

I don't think you have to go full time, but since it's 36 months of benefits, counted by the day, I would think if you went part time you'd still lose just as many days of the benefits, so you wouldn't be maxing out the benefit. That's my best guess, I don't know any of it for sure.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    ok, first to ask a few questions; is he still AD or a reservist?
    has he used any of his montgomery bill at all?
    has he served at least 6 years AD?
    if yes, has he served at least 10 years and is he willing to commit to more time?
  6. Senior Member
    Yes, he has to still be in the military and have 4 (or 3?) years left, or be willing to increase his commitment to that point, in order to do the transfer to you.

And you get 36 months of benefits (assuming he hasn't used an GI Bill of either type for himself, and that he gives it all to you). That time doesn't include any winter and summer breaks, so it is usually enough to pay for 4 years of schools (4 years at 9 months each).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    This isn't really an answer. I just had another question kind of related- is it the same way when transferring to a child? (the 6 year requirement and such? And good luck with school, OP!
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaria View Post
    This isn't really an answer. I just had another question kind of related- is it the same way when transferring to a child? (the 6 year requirement and such? And good luck with school, OP!
    Yes, its transferring to any dependent.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Did he already transfer the GI Bill to you? Is he still in the military?

Aside from that, if you can use it, if you are a 1/2 time student (which is what you described) you get partial amount or benefit. Basically that means you don't get the full amount allotted to you.
    Yep, it's 36mo. Doesn't matter if you are taking 2 classes or 6.
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    At the Ed center on the military post near you/at which you're stationed, there should be a contractor that is especially trained n the gi bills. He/she should be able to give you the best info for your specific situations and regarding any changes in the gi bills.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast