Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ADDING ELDERLY PARENT AS DEPENDENT * INSIGHT ANYONE*

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Smile ADDING ELDERLY PARENT AS DEPENDENT * INSIGHT ANYONE*

Advertisements
    Hi ladies AND Gents,

my husband and I are looking into adding my mom as a a dependent throught the military . She has been living with us for almost 2 years now since finalizing her divorce after 30 yrs of marriage . She has been a a stay at home mom all that time and has no real source of income so we provide EVERYTHING FOR HER. After some research DH found out that he could add her as a dependent but i guess she wouldnt be entitled to all the benefits of a Military dependent just some . We started the paperwork and waiting to hear back from the Navy . Are any of you familiar with this process or have gone through this ? , do you know what she can and cant do if approved ? housing ? PCsing ONNUS? medical? any insight would be greatly appreciated
  2. Banned
    Banned
    since you already have her living with you and she has been living with for 2 years it should not take long to get it approved.

as for benefits: she cannot get tricare- she can use the MTF on a space available basis only. if you PCS you will get per diem for her, if you get an Overseas location she will get a ticket, IF she can pass the overseas screening process. She will need a passport and an NO fee for this also.
    For housing assignement it would get you an additional bedroom , she can use ALL the base amenities, gym, legal, commisary, exchange, and anything else your base has. She can use her miltiary ID to get discounts at businesses ect.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    since you already have her living with you and she has been living with for 2 years it should not take long to get it approved.

as for benefits: she cannot get tricare- she can use the MTF on a space available basis only. if you PCS you will get per diem for her, if you get an Overseas location she will get a ticket, IF she can pass the overseas screening process. She will need a passport and an NO fee for this also.
    For housing assignement it would get you an additional bedroom , she can use ALL the base amenities, gym, legal, commisary, exchange, and anything else your base has. She can use her miltiary ID to get discounts at businesses ect.
    ditto..i think there may be two families doing this currently here....not sure
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

A girlfriend of mine is doing this exact same thing with her mom and this is what she was told

NotThatMonkey is my awesome Wifey
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    thank you guys so much for the feedback! I was really nervous about this because My mom needs me and i couldnt imagine leaving her behind if/when DH would have to go overseas- I didnt want to have choose between being with mom and DH
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navylife View Post
    thank you guys so much for the feedback! I was really nervous about this because My mom needs me and i couldnt imagine leaving her behind if/when DH would have to go overseas- I didnt want to have choose between being with mom and DH
    Just keep in mind that if she has health problems, she might not pass the screen, and if she does pass, she'll only been seen at medical facilities on the base on a Space A basis, which in many places means pretty much all care would be off base. And she'll need health insurance to cover that cost (or pay out of pocket for it). If she's on Medicare, I'm not sure that covers overseas treatment, so she'll want to look carefully into that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Nav
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

In the same situation now

We are now in the same situation of needing to add my mom as our dependent. Can someone tell me the best place to start the process? Thank you!

PS. I'm a new member, so I apologize if this info has already been covered elsewhere.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Welcome, Nav.
    As this thread is from January, it is what is considered an "old thread" here at MSOS -- rather than bumping the old thread, you will be better served to start your own, new, thread so that other members can reply directly to you/your situation and avoid mixing it up with the OP (Original Poster) of this thread. You may want to pop in at the "Newbies" section and post and intro and then review this thread Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!! -- it actually touches on the issue of old posts/threads, among other guidelines to help you make your way into SOS
  9. Nav
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Okay, thank you.