Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new wife

1. Regular Member

new wife

Advertisements
    can anyone explain to me how housing works? money? allowance? food? where we can move? how much pay? all of that....for a new navy wife
  2. ...
    Pay depends on rank and years in, housing money depends on rank.
    2013 Military Pay Scale Chart - For US Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines

You don't get any extra money for being married.
  3. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Where you move depends on where he gets orders to.
    You get a housing allowance based on his rank and where you live.
    He does not get extra money to feed you.
    He does not get extra allowances for being married.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  4. Senior Member
    Actually he technically does get extra money for being married.....when DH and I got married, his bah went up $450 yet we live in the same apartment that we lived in before. The extra pay is because in theory if you are married/have dependents, you will need a bigger place than if it is just the single soldier. Also, if he goes TDY or on deployment for over 30 days he gets family separation pay which single soldiers do not get either. The increase in bah alone is a pretty good chunk of money. The extra bah does not apply if you live on post though....if you live on post, you pay your entire bah to housing no matter how much bah is. There are a lot of variables. So no he doesn't get paid more just for being married. But in certain circumstances, certain entitlements might be more than if he were single.

Base pay itself obviously doesn't change though just because he is married and I think that's what the ladies above me were saying. I just wanted to clarify in case there was confusion .

Also, this isn't just for military but anyone....getting married will often put him/both of you in a lower tax bracket than when he was single especially if you, his spouse, do not make a lot of money. When we got our tax refunds this past year, we filed jointly and DH got over $3000 back. When he was single he got like $500 back. So we joked that he got paid for being married to me :p
  5. Banned
    Banned
    also there is a ton of info here, take a few minutes to paruse this and the moving forums - it will help you out alot.
  6. Senior Member
    USMC does give you extra money for being married bc they arent allowed BAH without being married. but not all branches are that way. most you can get BAH whenever you choose to move out in town.

his bah will depend on his duty station and rank. he will get bas for groceries since he wont be allowed to eat in the chow hall anymore. base housing is an option, they will just take his BAH out of your check as your rent so you dont have to worry about writing a check every month like you would in a place you rent traditionally.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

7. Regular Member
    thanks everyone im on ssi so i dont make anything!!! i got a payment today for his first pay...but it was low...he has been gone 3 weeks this is the 4th week and he only has been paid once....
  8. Senior Member
    military pay is usually a little behind. he will get paid the 1st and 15th, but it might take a payperiod or two after you get married for everything to kick in, especially if he wasnt getting bah at all before. but it all depends on the command, and how fast they work. where is he "away" ? like deployed? im trying to figure out a specific question to answer for you but i feel like im all over the place
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleclare View Post
    USMC does give you extra money for being married bc they arent allowed BAH without being married. but not all branches are that way. most you can get BAH whenever you choose to move out in town.

this is not true, I personally know several single marines that collect the single rate BAH-- in fact one an e6 lives in one of my dad's rentals and on his LES it showed BAH with out dependents-- I ran his Credit check and checked his references.

most members e5 and above are eligble for BAH with out dep unless there is an over abundance of barracks.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by queenofurheart View Post
    thanks everyone im on ssi so i dont make anything!!! i got a payment today for his first pay...but it was low...he has been gone 3 weeks this is the 4th week and he only has been paid once....

Pay is paid in arrears- so if he has been there for three weeks he probably only got paid for a week and a 1/2 ( depending on when he went in)
    Pay is paid on the 15th and the 1st-
    so for Jan 1 pay he was paid for work done DEC 15th to Dec 31- for Jan 15th pay it will be from JAN 1 to jan 15th and it will be split between the 2- so if his pay ( including BAH) per month is 2500 - he will get 1250 a pay day before taxes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast