Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? About Legal Assistance

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

? About Legal Assistance

Advertisements
    I need to retain a lawyer soon because I have to file bankruptcy. All of my significant debt is joint debt with my ex husband. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to ask for legal assistance through the base-if that would look bad for my husband? Is that even something I could get help with on base? Any advice? Thank you.

“It always seems impossible until it's done.”
    ― Nelson Mandela
  2. Senior Member
    It is my understanding that they will not help you through base legal. They might point you in the right direction to someone who will, but they will not represent you.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  3. Banned
    Banned
    unfortunately they cannot assist you. you will need to hire a civilian attorney.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I also dount they COULD help you. Bankruptcy is a very specialized and complicated area of federal law. There is also substantial liability to an attorney. So unless it is something they regularly practice in, they would give you the same advice as above. Get a civilian bankruptcy attorney.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I also dount they COULD help you. Bankruptcy is a very specialized and complicated area of federal law. There is also substantial liability to an attorney. So unless it is something they regularly practice in, they would give you the same advice as above. Get a civilian bankruptcy attorney.
    Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    It is my understanding that they will not help you through base legal. They might point you in the right direction to someone who will, but they will not represent you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    unfortunately they cannot assist you. you will need to hire a civilian attorney.
    ditto....
  6. Senior Member
    I would try to find a legal aid office that is near you. I was able to obtain help with my bankruptcy that way. I basically just went to a class and they helped me fill out all the forms right there. They told me everything I had to do and I was able to do it on my own just fine.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosie View Post
    I would try to find a legal aid office that is near you. I was able to obtain help with my bankruptcy that way. I basically just went to a class and they helped me fill out all the forms right there. They told me everything I had to do and I was able to do it on my own just fine.
    Good idea. Danik, try northwest justice project. Offices all over washington.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I emailed a friend of mine who is an Air Force lawyer. She specializes in financial and federal tax law - and she just emailed me back essentially the same thing Guynavywife said. At most, she would help someone find a good civilian attorney to use. She's not allowed to do more than that due to liability.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    If your husband holds a security clearance, he should inform his security manager/SSO about the fact that you are filing bankruptcy. Even though it's "your" debt, he should let them know what is going on. If he has a clearance and comes up for an update, they will pull your credit reports and see that you recently filed. Better to be upfront than let it be found out during the investigation.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ok, thank you. So, if a spouse files, it can have an effect on a soldier's security clearance?

“It always seems impossible until it's done.”
    ― Nelson Mandela
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast