Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probable changes to Tricare Prime for Retirees

1. Banned
    Banned

Probable changes to Tricare Prime for Retirees

Advertisements
    if your thinking about retiring in the next couple of years, you may want to reconsider where you will retire.
    New changes will eliminate tricare prime requiring all retirees living farther than 40 miles from an MTF to change to tricare standard.

171,000 Retirees Likely To Lose Tricare Prime
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 11-09-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: to add missing information
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    New changes will eliminate tricare prime requiring all retirees to change to tricare standard.
    All retirees will not have to change to Tricare standard, the article states:

With the presidential election over, Defense officials are expected to announce soon that military retirees and their dependents living more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility or base closure site will lose access to TRICARE Prime, the military's managed care option.

A total of 171,000 retirees and dependents are expected to have to shift coverage when remote Prime networks go away.

The article implies that if you live within 40 miles of a base (in the "catchment" area), you won't have to change to Tricare standard.
  3. Senior Member
    Kinda sucks since TriCare Standard can be more expensive. BUT with the cap of $3,000 per family and no enrollment fee ($500 and something), it is really only a net "ding" of $2,500. Still a lot of money but not the I was afraid of when I read the article title, lol.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  4. Senior Member
    I want to live close to a base anyway, so I can use the commie in retirement.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    All retirees will not have to change to Tricare standard, the article states:

With the presidential election over, Defense officials are expected to announce soon that military retirees and their dependents living more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility or base closure site will lose access to TRICARE Prime, the military's managed care option.

A total of 171,000 retirees and dependents are expected to have to shift coverage when remote Prime networks go away.

The article implies that if you live within 40 miles of a base (in the "catchment" area), you won't have to change to Tricare standard.

Sorry, I did not add that - corrected op
  6. Banned
    Banned
    i am already on standard and was planning on staying standard when DH retires in 18 months. Right now I am rarely sick and only have 1 RX to fill every month that is 12 dollars.
    we did not want to pay "premiums" for prime anyway. we do live near an MTF but they currently do not see retirees.
  7. Senior Member
    We were planning to do Tricare Standard anyways. It still works out much cheaper than civilian insurance. At least initially we'll be near a base anyways.
  8. Senior Member
    Has anyone heard of the premiums are going up like they were recommend?
  9. Senior Member

I was reading abut this a couple days ago and was kind of pissed about it because we will be moving to Portland, OR when dh retires next year and it's more than 40 miles from an MTF. He says the VA hospital there might be on the network (some can) but it would still be out of pocket. I am mad for one because I really don't want to move there but kind of have no choice. I want to stay here in San Diego for multiple reasons but this just added to it. The more I think about it all the more I get pissed and I guess I better have a chat with dh again about this. I just wish I was able to be done with school faster and get a job so we can afford to stay here.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    I want to live close to a base anyway, so I can use the commie in retirement.
    ditto...i wonder if JRF Ft Worth has a commie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast