Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: VA disability benefits

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

VA disability benefits

Advertisements
    My DH has been out of the Marines for about two years. About 6 months ago, my DH was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. My DH is only 26 years old and his cancer is not hereditary (He had genetic testing done). We recently found out that two other men he worked with have cancer as well, both under the age of 27 years old. DH's job was an avionics tech and thinks he was exposed to environmental factors such as radiation an radio frequencies. Now when we call the VA to set up a claim for disbility they said we have no way to prove its service connected, can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't think you'll be able to prove it either truthfully. Sorry. You can always try though or consult a lawyer, but it's a really long process and could cost you a lot of money you probably don't have to do so.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

and here I was going to say it was from getting by the green weenie

I hope they can figure something out. it is very odd that so many people working in the same area all have it
  4. Senior Member
    Unfortunately, I think Stephanie is correct. He didn't get a disability rating for it when he got out, and though you have some circumstantial evidence, it is far from solid proof. If you want, a free lawyer consult can't hurt, but I think you guys might be out of luck. He could have been exposed to anything anywhere and at any time, so there really is no way to tie this back to his service, unless there was a known contamination of some kind.

I hope your DH's treatment is quick and successful, and that he recovers quickly.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Unfortunately, I think Stephanie is correct. He didn't get a disability rating for it when he got out, and though you have some circumstantial evidence, it is far from solid proof. If you want, a free lawyer consult can't hurt, but I think you guys might be out of luck. He could have been exposed to anything anywhere and at any time, so there really is no way to tie this back to his service, unless there was a known contamination of some kind.

I hope your DH's treatment is quick and successful, and that he recovers quickly.