Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: when does tricare kick in?

1. Regular Member

when does tricare kick in?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies and gents,

My DH is not starting basic till December and we are trying to figure out when I should drop my insurance through my work but we are unsure about when Tricare would kick in for us. Does it start after boot camp? During?..we are Navy if that makes a difference...
    thanks!
  2. Regular Member
    That's a good question. My DF will be leaving in May. I haven't found a reliable source of information. Maybe whoever answers this could throw in that resource, also. Is there somewhere we're suppose to be directing questions like that to?
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    It should begin on whatever his "start" date is. For example, DH signed his papers and left for basic on Jan 9th 2008, so his benefits began that day. If you're unsure of his start date, it's also the separation date (just apply it to the current year). Like DH's separation date was Jan 9th 2012. Does that make sense?

4. Banned
    Banned
    it will technically start the day he gets to BC, but will take approx 2 weeks for the info to get into the system and another 2 weeks for you to get the packet to get your ID card. I would not cancel your insurance for 2 full months after he goes to BC to be safe.
  5. Senior Member
    Be sure to ask what the policy is to cancel your insurance through your work. Tricare does start the day he gets to BCT, but, some health insurance plans through employers require a qualifying event in order to cancel and have a limited time frame in which you can cancel, otherwise you would wait for Open Enrollment.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Tri Care

So my husband just finished his first week in BMT for Airforce. He said he was mailing me my packet and I should receive it soon. Can I just take that to my nearest base and apply on my own or do I need someone with a DOD card to get on base?
  7. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

You should get your own ID card and take care of your tricare info all in the same visit. I suggest calling first to verify hours for both offices. When I went I had to wait in the parking lot for an hour because the tricare office was closed for lunch.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trink3 View Post
    So my husband just finished his first week in BMT for Airforce. He said he was mailing me my packet and I should receive it soon. Can I just take that to my nearest base and apply on my own or do I need someone with a DOD card to get on base?
    You should be able to tell them at the gate that you are going on base to get an ID card and they will let you through. Do call ahead of time though so you have all the forms and ID you need.