Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Base Housing. (specifically USMC.)

1. Senior Member

On Base Housing. (specifically USMC.)

Advertisements
    (I hope this belongs here. If it doesn't, then feel free to move it.)

I need as much information as I can get from everyone that's lived on base. I don't know what I'm looking for, really, but I know DH's biggest concern is money. Right now, when we're living off base, we have a decent amount of change to spare, after all of our bills are paid. (We use our BAH very wisely and make sure it covers as much as possible.)

Give me all of your opinions, experiences, anything! DH and I have never, ever, considered living on base, so we're clueless about the whole thing.

...a little background information...
    DH is a Cpl, but he should be picking up Sgt by December or January.
    We have a Siberian Husky.
    no children or plans for children.
    only 1 years left in the military. (possibly less.)

So, yeah. Give me everything you've got.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Well at lejeune obvi find out if huskies are on the banned breed list. Then....thats all I got. If you live off base you get to pocket any extra BAH while on base you cant. So if before deployment you were pocketing extra BAH, then it would be best to stay off base IMo because then its extra money you wont have when you are on base.

Why are you considering on-base living? That could be a big factor.
  3. Moderator

I don't know about Lejeune's housing, but here in Beaufort, you could possibly still bank some of your BAH. Our housing is privatized and some homes use up your whole BAH, while others don't.

We like living on base. We are in an area that it made more sense for us to live on base. In VA, we lived off base. Here, my kids go to good schools on base and we get a very nice sized home for our BAH. For us, living on base depends on the area.
  4. Senior Member
    Are you PCSing? If not, the move itself is more than likely not going to be paid for by the military.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Are you PCSing? If not, the move itself is more than likely not going to be paid for by the military.
    We're not PCSing, and it won't cost much for us to move. So, that's not a big deal at all.
    inside outside

and in centers
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Well at lejeune obvi find out if huskies are on the banned breed list. Then....thats all I got. If you live off base you get to pocket any extra BAH while on base you cant. So if before deployment you were pocketing extra BAH, then it would be best to stay off base IMo because then its extra money you wont have when you are on base.

Why are you considering on-base living? That could be a big factor.
    Honestly, there isn't really a reason. I'm just looking into all of our options and decided on base housing could be one of them, y'know?
    inside outside

and in centers
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  7. Senior Member
    At lejeune, we would never live on base. You can find a MUCH better deal living out in town, especially since yall do not have kids.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    At lejeune, we would never live on base. You can find a MUCH better deal living out in town, especially since yall do not have kids.
    ...really? I feel like it's really slim pickin' here, but I haven't looked in Hubert or anywhere else outside of Jacksonville.

ETA: or, maybe, DH and I have a really low price range.
    inside outside

and in centers
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  9. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    We plan on moving on base after our lease is up. I think the housing is much nicer then anything you can find off base here or as far as I have found. Huskys are allowed on base our friends have one.

Probably the main reason I want to move on base is so we can have a 3 bedroom with the baby coming and trying to find something off base for a price we can still survive without me working is impossible. Unless you get lucky and find something fantastic I would go for it but you do loose all your bah so you just have to see if it levels out. If you know anyone that lives on base you should try and look at the houses you would get a 2 bedroom most likely but you might get more since he will be a higher rank. I would look on Lejeune / New River - Atlantic Marine and you can see what neighborhoods you qualify for and look at floor plans and pictures.
  10. Senior Member
    I'm sure it's different at every base, but here's my experience with base housing on Camp Pendleton. Our housing is privatized, which I think most military housing is nowadays. Ours is owned by Lincoln Military Housing. There are a few housing areas that receive a refund for their BAH each month. Basically they take all of your BAH straight out of your pay, but then you get a check in the mail for the refund. It's an incentive to live in the less nice housing. The neighborhood we live in doesn't get anything back, but it's newer nicer houses in a better area, so to me, it's totally worth it. Utilities are all covered, but they are starting a program where there is a limit for the "normal" monthly electric usage, and if you go over the limit, you pay the difference of your bill. If you go under the limit, you get a refund for the difference. I think most bases either have this program or are implementing it soon.

DH is a sergeant, and we have no children, so we rate a 2 bedroom house in our neighborhood since there are no 1 bedroom houses. I think there is only one neighborhood on CP that has 1 bedroom houses, and they are for E3 and below. We have a fenced in back yard, which is great for our dogs. There are TONS of huskies here. It's not generally a banned breed unless they have a weight limit in their housing, which CP does not. They have a few banned breeds, but husky is not one of them. There is a 2 pet limit, cats or dogs.

We love living on base. We have a really nice house that there is no way we could afford in town for the amount of BAH we get.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast