Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Please!

1. Regular Member

Confused Need Help Please!

Advertisements
    I was told that the Army would help pay for school after we got married.
    I have never really looked into this and last semester just had to take out a loan because I didn't get any financial aid.
    This will be my 4TH COLLEGE IN 4 YEARS. I'm so exhausted on switching schools. We just PCS'd to HI from ft.campbell and I know we will be here for a few years.
    At my last school in KY I was 2 classes and a test shy of getting into the Nursing program.
    I would like to go to school this spring again. I know I will probably have to take more classes now to get into the nursing program beacuse the pre-reqs are different everywhere--soooo frusterating---

I really need help with money for this. I've heard of MyCAA or somthing like that and checked it out a while ago but it was so confusing. My husband is
    E-4 so I know we qualify for some kind of help.
    Is there anyone who could give me like dummy step-by-step directions on this. I'm already burnt out on applying to this school and having to get them all my past transcripts and military papers saying I'm a resident of the state of Hawaii, and having to get TB shots to even enroll because they dont want me bringing TB to their school haha. I was born in Hawaii, I didnt think I would be so frusterated coming back to this place I love... Dear lord this is just annoying.

If you've been through this and know the game, please share your wisdom with me. I'd appreciate it so much. TIA
    proudarmygrlfrnd is my Wifey AND my Divaness Twin
  2. heart broken
    heart broken
    no advice just
    Jen2407 and Haley88 are the best wifeys

Haley88 is my divaness twin
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm sorry, but I don't think that you qualify for financial assistance as a military spouse unless your SO transfers his GI bill benefits to you. I could very well be wrong, but I've certainly never heard of anything.

ETA: You might qualify for the school's regular financial aid though, so submit your FAFSA and meet with a Financial Aid counselor.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Banned
    Banned
    sorry that you were misinformed- the military--- none of the branches pay for the spouses education.
    for the MYCAA ( a DOD funded private company) it is limited and for the best info call them and visit thier website.

and go to your schools financial office and ask for help with scholarships and grants.
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to do more research I guess. I was told straight up from someone where we last lived that I could get up to 4g for school a year if my husband was e-5 and under. This is so confusing.
    proudarmygrlfrnd is my Wifey AND my Divaness Twin
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley88 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to do more research I guess. I was told straight up from someone where we last lived that I could get up to 4g for school a year if my husband was e-5 and under. This is so confusing.
    That is MyCAA, and it is for AA degrees and certificates.

The school has to qualify for MyCAA, you can't do poorly in you classes or you have to pay back funds, and you have a time limit on how long to complete the degree/certificate.
  7. Senior Member
    As for getting into a nursing program definitely start speaking with the advisors at Hawai'i Pacific University. Its a smaller school, but the nursing program is wonderful. If DH and I ever got stationed there I definitely would go back. I got my Bachelor's program from there in Business. As for MyCAA I just applied for it, and was able to get $4000 this year to go to school. But I am also going through a Medical Assistant program so I was able to get it waived and use all my funds upfront. I know that MyCAA doesn't pay for everything. It also is limited to associate degrees, certification and licensures. Have you already applied for FAFSA? Also make sure to talk to the financial aid department at the school you will be going to. They may have more information regarding grants, scholarships, and financial aid. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by southernbelle88; 10-03-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley88 View Post

this is the MYCAA- but it is very limited. you can do a search for mycaa and get the program details.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I thought MyCAA was for E3 and below, but definitely do a search for it to find out more information.

MyCAA is the only assistance offered to spouses and like others said its limited on what it can be used for.

I would go with Pell Grants and/or student loans.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Banned
    Banned
    e5 and below, W1-2 and O1 and O2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast