Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: GI bill useless??

  1. Senior Member
    meganel04's Avatar
    meganel04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    432
    #1

    Help GI bill useless??

    Advertisements
    I am kind of irritated if I am understanding this correctly...

    My husband and I were under the impression that he could transfer his post 9-11 GI bill to me, but I was reading that he would have to have already served 6 years (he has only served 4) and that he would have to agree to do 4 more??

    I thought if they were veterans of a war than they were able to transfer it to whomever they wished, because my uncle was a vet of vietnam (drafted) and his two girls split his benefits and he paid the rest.

    Am I understanding this correctly? I know my husband is never going to go back to school (he isn't a school oriented person, and I was really hoping I could put this towards graduate school)
  2. Banned
    Lychee's Avatar
    Lychee is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15,327
    #2
    I recall DF saying that you had to have so many years of service and that you had to commit to so many more before you could transfer it. I don't know the specific timeframes though.
  3. Account Closed
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,415
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by meganel04 View Post
    I am kind of irritated if I am understanding this correctly...

    My husband and I were under the impression that he could transfer his post 9-11 GI bill to me, but I was reading that he would have to have already served 6 years (he has only served 4) and that he would have to agree to do 4 more??

    I thought if they were veterans of a war than they were able to transfer it to whomever they wished, because my uncle was a vet of vietnam (drafted) and his two girls split his benefits and he paid the rest.

    Am I understanding this correctly? I know my husband is never going to go back to school (he isn't a school oriented person, and I was really hoping I could put this towards graduate school)
    I do believe they have to have X amount of years done and X amount left, the #'s you listed sound right, I just am not 100% sure.

    To the bolded, could be different because right now we are not "technically" at "war" or something like that maybe?
  4. Anchored2aSailor's Avatar
    Anchored2aSailor is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut Bitches!
    Posts
    8,438
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by meganel04 View Post
    I am kind of irritated if I am understanding this correctly...

    My husband and I were under the impression that he could transfer his post 9-11 GI bill to me, but I was reading that he would have to have already served 6 years (he has only served 4) and that he would have to agree to do 4 more??

    I thought if they were veterans of a war than they were able to transfer it to whomever they wished, because my uncle was a vet of vietnam (drafted) and his two girls split his benefits and he paid the rest.

    Am I understanding this correctly? I know my husband is never going to go back to school (he isn't a school oriented person, and I was really hoping I could put this towards graduate school)
    He has to have served for 6 years and have reenlisted or be reenlisting in order to swap it over.

    The GI bill that he has is not what people had 20-30 years ago. There have been a lot of changes to it in the last 10 years, heck the last 5-6 years.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Clumsy's Avatar
    Clumsy is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    717
    #5
    Yep, DH would have had to do more years to transfer it to me.
  6. Senior Member
    meganel04's Avatar
    meganel04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    432
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I do believe they have to have X amount of years done and X amount left, the #'s you listed sound right, I just am not 100% sure.

    To the bolded, could be different because right now we are not "technically" at "war" or something like that maybe?
    That is just absolute B/S the government refusing to acknowledge it as a war...probably for reasons precisely like this. So frustrating, just another screw you from the government.

    Thanks for answering me ladies, major bummer
  7. The LDR that never ends..
    ArmyGirlfriend-x's Avatar
    ArmyGirlfriend-x is offline
    The LDR that never ends..
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    IA/UT
    Posts
    6,466
    #7
    its their GI Bill, I understand why they have strict regulations about them transferring it. DB looked into transferring his because I will dig us into debt with my student loans and he wont need much for school--but they said he'd have to re-enlist for 4 more years and we both dont want him too. if you work in public service your debt can be forgiven after 10 years, 20 for every other position.
  8. Senior Member
    Beach's Avatar
    Beach is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,934
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by meganel04 View Post
    That is just absolute B/S the government refusing to acknowledge it as a war...probably for reasons precisely like this. So frustrating, just another screw you from the government.

    Thanks for answering me ladies, major bummer
    It has to do with being able to transfer it to a spouse, he can still use it. Until about 3 years ago there were no transfer options. I would find it more BS if the VA was willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a spouses education when the military member only served 4yrs.
  9. Account Closed
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,415
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by meganel04 View Post
    That is just absolute B/S the government refusing to acknowledge it as a war...probably for reasons precisely like this. So frustrating, just another screw you from the government.

    Thanks for answering me ladies, major bummer
    I don't know that thats the case, just a wild guess. There is a lot of debate over the whole "at war" thing so I could very well be wrong. Like anchor said though the GI bill is not what it was so what your uncle was able to do is pretty different then what can be done with it now.
  10. La vie boheme
    Hope's Avatar
    Hope is offline
    La vie boheme
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    29,083

    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    He has to have served for 6 years and have reenlisted or be reenlisting in order to swap it over.

    The GI bill that he has is not what people had 20-30 years ago. There have been a lot of changes to it in the last 10 years, heck the last 5-6 years.
    This.

    Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •