Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holidays?

1. Love is friendship on fire
    Love is friendship on fire
    Blog Entries

Holidays?

Advertisements
    How does leave work during holidays? For example...how does Christmas usually work? Do they get a few days off? Does it depend on their job? Rank?

Just trying to learn as much as I can
    "Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire."
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

"Trust in the lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."
    Proverbs 3:5
    Banned
    I can't speak for all branches, but I know for us, there is a stand down period of say 10-14 days. Half of the guys get the first half of the stand down, and the other half gets the last half of stand down.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    I can't speak for all branches, but I know for us, there is a stand down period of say 10-14 days. Half of the guys get the first half of the stand down, and the other half gets the last half of stand down.
    Yep, this is how it usually works for DH too unless an exercise or something is about to start. He usually will either get Christmas week or New Years week. We prefer New Years week because it usually ends up more days off.
  4. Love is friendship on fire
    Blog Entries
    Is each branch pretty different in general?

I know that sounds like a silly question, but I mean is as in "how to deal with the military" kind of way...if that makes sense
    "Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire."

"Trust in the lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."
  5. Love is friendship on fire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Yep, this is how it usually works for DH too unless an exercise or something is about to start. He usually will either get Christmas week or New Years week. We prefer New Years week because it usually ends up more days off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    Hey I will take what I can get! I guess I could always go spend New Years with him if he gets the first week to come home instead of the second...or do they get to choose?

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takenheart View Post
    Is each branch pretty different in general?

I know that sounds like a silly question, but I mean is as in "how to deal with the military" kind of way...if that makes sense
    Yeah. They're all different and have their own rules on some things. Plus it can vary greatly by command (and job). While certain jobs can shut down easily, others can't.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

From what I've seen, it usually breaks into Christmas week and New Years week. The folks can choose one to get off and one to work. DH is putting in for Christmas week this year

Totally varies branch to branch and command to command, though.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by takenheart View Post
    Hey I will take what I can get! I guess I could always go spend New Years with him if he gets the first week to come home instead of the second...or do they get to choose?
    Usually command senior gets dibs on when they want to go, and I don't mean rank wise, I mean, who has been the longest at the command. They also tend to try to rotate year by year, so those that had Christmas of last year get new years off this year instead, and so on.
  9. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    I only know that the Army shuts down during training. IDK how it is for everyone/everything else..
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  10. Senior Member

My job is 24/7(12s) so we don't get holidays or weekends off unless our days off happen to fall on those days.

For Christmas/New Years we try and do a holiday schedule like 6 on 6 off. Usually only 1 person is allowed to take leave during a holiday so you cant take both off.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast