Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Max terminal leave

1. Senior Member

Max terminal leave

Advertisements
    How many days is the max now? Starting to calculate how many days he needs to save a year.
  2. Senior Member
    I am pretty sure it's at least 75 days. When can your dh retire? We are not nearly that far and dh has to retire in 2.5yrs, lol.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    I am pretty sure it's at least 75 days. When can your dh retire? We are not nearly that far and dh has to retire in 2.5yrs, lol.
    He's got a while.. 4 years until 20 but he just re-enlisted out to 22. He generally takes a lot of leave days though during the year and have maxed out quite a few times now so we are trying to figure out if we start dividing it out how many days he has to save. I know tons of people don't have that issue, but we do and we don't want to end up just not going on vacation for two years to save up. :-\
  4. Senior Member
    I think they are dropping the max leave allowed on the books from 75 down to 60. So, he should be able to take 60 plus whatever he has over if he retires prior to Oct 1. The only maxing out on leave days dh has ever experienced is maxing out on how many days he has on the books. He always loses leave come Oct 1. So, I don’t see that being an issue for him.

As long as your dh only uses 20 days a year you should be at or over 60 in six years. Plus they get an additional 20 days for house hunting/job searching leave.
  5. Senior Member
    The AFI doesn't list a maximum. I didn't know there was one beyond the number of days you have accrued. Have you read somewhere that there is a maximum?
  6. Senior Member
    I think they are dropping the max leave allowed on the books from 75 down to 60.
    The 75 days is good through 30 Sep 2013, then it drops back down to 60.
  7. Senior Member
    I think they are dropping the max leave allowed on the books from 75 down to 60. So, he should be able to take 60 plus whatever he has over if he retires prior to Oct 1. The only maxing out on leave days dh has ever experienced is maxing out on how many days he has on the books. He always loses leave come Oct 1. So, I don’t see that being an issue for him.

As long as your dh only uses 20 days a year you should be at or over 60 in six years. Plus they get an additional 20 days for house hunting/job searching leave.
    Yeah. We definitely haven't had that problem yet. Not to say it won't happen in the future for some reason, but as of now we just try to have enough to travel when we want. He will retire in September of whatever year... so he'll probably have close to 90 I guess. I didn't know about the house/job hunting so that's nice to know too.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    The AFI doesn't list a maximum. I didn't know there was one beyond the number of days you have accrued. Have you read somewhere that there is a maximum?
    Well I know they hit a use or lose amount. So it's not like he can have a years worth of terminal leave. I just wasn't sure what the actual amount of days was.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Well I know they hit a use or lose amount. So it's not like he can have a years worth of terminal leave. I just wasn't sure what the actual amount of days was.
    Gotcha. Yeah, they can take as much as is on the books. And the 20 days PTDY Beach mentioned for house/job hunting is 30 days if you are OCONUS. Some people retire 1 Feb in order to get the raise for the new year calculated into their retirement pay. That can work really well if the raise is a large one.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    The 75 days is good through 30 Sep 2013, then it drops back down to 60.

I meant before either of our dh's retire. The earliest mine will retire is May of 14, but most likely May of 15. He has over 90 days on the books currently.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info. Gives us some things to consider, especially since he gets out in September... kind of nice with the fiscal year.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast