Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can someone talk to me about tuition assistance while active duty?

1. Senior Member

Can someone talk to me about tuition assistance while active duty?

Advertisements
    How does this work exactly? My husband is looking at reenlisting for three years, how would he go to school at the same time? Does he go to like a community college or something after work? What about when he deploys? I'm having trouble understanding when they have time for that, I guess. Is there a minimum amount of credits they have to take to be eligible?

Does anybody have experience with this?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yes, my husband used the tuition assistance for his degrees. Basically, they have no life and get no sleep.

Does his base have an education center? My husband took classes through Embry-Riddle and they held classes on the bases we've been stationed at. When he's been deployed or TDY, the've worked with his schedule. Sometimes he's had to finish things early. The classes that are held through the education center tend to be shorter week-wise so you can finish a course in a shorter time period than a traditional college semester.

Do you have any specific questions?
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Hmmm, minimum number of credits, I don't think so, not that I remember. I can remember one session my husband was only taking one class.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My husband got both his degrees with TA. He started out doing in-class then finished it all online, all through Park Univ. He just went to the education center and got all the info. If he deploys often I would suggest doing the online colleges.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Yes, my husband used the tuition assistance for his degrees. Basically, they have no life and get no sleep.

Does his base have an education center? My husband took classes through Embry-Riddle and they held classes on the bases we've been stationed at. When he's been deployed or TDY, the've worked with his schedule. Sometimes he's had to finish things early. The classes that are held through the education center tend to be shorter week-wise so you can finish a course in a shorter time period than a traditional college semester.

Do you have any specific questions?
    Good info! We're separated currently so I'm going to make him find out if they have an education center there. Schofield is a pretty large base so I assume they do, hopefully theyll have something for him at the next base too. Thank you!
  6. Senior Member
    Here's the info for the Schofield ed center. IMCOM ACES - Schofield Barracks Education Center
  7. Senior Member
    My husband uses TA too. It paid 100% for his bachelors and covers about 75% of his masters. My DH clepted a lot of classes when he first started. He also took online classes and sometimes took classes that were like two weekends long when he could fit them in (he preferred that method to online classes). He did his CCAF and Embry Riddle.
  8. Senior Member
    Tuition Assistance (TA) Program Overview | Military.com

There is a cap on what they will pay semester hour as well as total per year. While every bit helps dh’s graduate level classes are almost $1000 a semester hour and the Navy caps what they will pay at $250/hr. We have to pay out-of-state but even in-state rates are $150/hr over what TA pays.
  9. Senior Member
    Dh was in the process of doing this before he crosstrained. It was pretty great, he just paid upfront for the class and then he would be reimbursed after he completed the course with a passing grade. It was very quick and easy for him to be registered, too. That wasn't very long ago, so I'm guessing they still do it that way. Good luck!!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    To use TA he will need to get signed and submit a Statement of Understanding. This form will outline the requirements for him to use TA. He can find it by searching on the goarmyed.com website or going into the local ed center. The counselor there should also be able to answer all his questions.

He can go to any college he wants that will accept TA. At the Ed Center here, CTC, University of Maryland College and AMU are the most popular schools that people go to. Also popular are schools from home that people are comfortable and familiar with.

He'd have to make time I'm guessing... A lot of military students here don't get any time off work, they take online and hybrid classes (submit work online and go to face-to-face classes a few times a week) in the evenings.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson