Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optical and Dental with Tricare?

1. Senior Member

Optical and Dental with Tricare?

Advertisements
    So my time for my yearly eye check is coming up and to get new glasses as well. I just got married last month and have no moved to VA with DH yet, moving next month. So I'm still on my parent's insurance till then. I'm wondering if I should wait till I'm on Tricare to get my glasses and exam or do it on my current insurance. My current covers the lenses and exam and I think part of the frames this year (it's every other year). What kind of coverage does Tricare have for glasses?

Also I was wondering what kind of coverage Tricare has for dental as well. I usually get a cleaning every 6 months. Does Tricare cover dental cleanings and cavities if there are any?

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. ...
    Tricare only covers one eye exam a year. Glasses and everything else is out of pocket.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    So my time for my yearly eye check is coming up and to get new glasses as well. I just got married last month and have no moved to VA with DH yet, moving next month. So I'm still on my parent's insurance till then. I'm wondering if I should wait till I'm on Tricare to get my glasses and exam or do it on my current insurance. My current covers the lenses and exam and I think part of the frames this year (it's every other year). What kind of coverage does Tricare have for glasses?

Also I was wondering what kind of coverage Tricare has for dental as well. I usually get a cleaning every 6 months. Does Tricare cover dental cleanings and cavities if there are any?
    I'd do it now. Tricare only covers a basic eye exam. You pay the difference for a contact lens fitting and it doesn't cover glasses or contact lenses at all.

Tricare dental is through metlife. They cover two cleanings a year and you pay a percentage towards fillings and actual dental work.
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks guys I'll go ahead and get my glasses done on my current insurance. The dental sounds like what I have now, glad they cover 2 cleanings a year. I hardly ever have cavities so should be fine.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Since you were married last month has your DH submitted any paperwork listing you as his spouse? If he has you may already have tricare which would be your secondary insurance and your parent's insurance is your primary.
  6. Senior Member
    He has submitted me as his wife, but I'm not on the insurance yet. They told him I have to be there to sign things and get it setup. Plus I would like to be there for that, I'm picky about doctors and he doesn't read everything a lot of the time. He just goes with what they tell him.

7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    I'd do it now. Tricare only covers a basic eye exam. You pay the difference for a contact lens fitting and it doesn't cover glasses or contact lenses at all.

Tricare dental is through metlife. They cover two cleanings a year and you pay a percentage towards fillings and actual dental work.
    Tricare dental is also a totally different thing from Tri-care. You have to make sure to enroll into the Metlife because dental is NOT covered under the Tri-care medical you get enrolled in once you're enrolled threw DEERS and all of that.

You have to enroll threw the Metlife website or whatever I believe. Unless our DH went ahead and enrolled you in DEERS AND the Metlife since it's two totally diffrent things and you will NOT have dental coverage without being enrolled into Metlife on to[ of being enrolled with Tri-care medical.

Just throwing that out there so you know that enrolling in DEERS and enrolling for tri-care doesn't enroll you for dental coverage. I believe you have to go to Metlife's website to enroll. I know I had to do the enrollment for the separate dental company for "tri-care dental" which when we first enrolled the "tri-care dental" was threw Corona dental. Now it's Metlife which I am happy we're no longer using. Lol
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    Tricare dental is also a totally different thing from Tri-care. You have to make sure to enroll into the Metlife because dental is NOT covered under the Tri-care medical you get enrolled in once you're enrolled threw DEERS and all of that.

You have to enroll threw the Metlife website or whatever I believe. Unless our DH went ahead and enrolled you in DEERS AND the Metlife since it's two totally iffrent things and you will NOT have dental coverage without being enrolled into Metlife on to[ of being enrolled with Tri-care medical.
    Thanks! I probably would have missed that and been wondering why my cleaning was a huge amount out of pocket next time I get them cleaned! I'll be sure to find there website and save it on my favorites so I don't forget about it.

9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    Thanks! I probably would have missed that and been wondering why my cleaning was a huge amount out of pocket next time I get them cleaned! I'll be sure to find there website and save it on my favorites so I don't forget about it.
    No problem.

Here's the Metlife website where you can learn more about them, and try to figure out what you need to do to sign up with them.
    https://www.metlife.com/individual/d...T.mc_id=vu1219

Do you work/will you be trying to work once you move? If so I personally would go threw the job you get, even if it's part time, for the dental. Although, if it's just you and you normally don't need much work done Metlife maybe what works fine for you. I just know I can get better dental coverage working for like a Retail company such as say Petsmart. (it's also cheaper monthly lol) So that is also something to think about, and for sure something once(if?) you and your DH consider having kids. That way you have better coverage for the little ones just encase they need actual work done(like teeth being pulled and extc.)
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    No problem.

Here's the Metlife website where you can learn more about them, and try to figure out what you need to do to sign up with them.
    https://www.metlife.com/individual/d...T.mc_id=vu1219

Do you work/will you be trying to work once you move? If so I personally would go threw the job you get, even if it's part time, for the dental. Although, if it's just you and you normally don't need much work done Metlife maybe what works fine for you. I just know I can get better dental coverage working for like a Retail company such as say Petsmart. (it's also cheaper monthly lol) So that is also something to think about, and for sure something once(if?) you and your DH consider having kids. That way you have better coverage for the little ones just encase they need actual work done(like teeth being pulled and extc.)
    Thanks again.

We were actually talking about that last night, I'll hopefully find a job over there quickly after I move. I was telling him I'll try to get dental and maybe even vision coverage from my job and use the medical coverage from his. Told him he's also got to let me slack a bit in cleaning the apartment from top to bottom everyday or he's got to have certain chores if I end up working full time to get the insurance we need. Otherwise his dinner will have to be found on his own at night or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast