Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do you have Tricare prime or standard?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard

4 22.22%
  • Prime

14 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Standard Costs?

1. Senior Member

Tricare Standard Costs?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies, my husband and I are debating on enrolling me in standard vs. prime. I am hugely afraid of doctors (panic attack, shaking, blood pressure rises, and I pass out ), I only go to females, and I want consistency with my doctors- so therefor I am set on standard 1000000%. However, my DH said he spoke to a sales rep today and was told we would have to pay $50 for EVERY visit, and then 20% of whatever the visit/treatment is. This seems really high, especially if something were to go wrong- like cancer or a serious illness or even not serious but important like a pregnancy. For those who have standard what do you pay for a regular doctors visit? Pregnancy? I am including a poll because my husband swears most use prime, but from a previous post I made it seems that a lot of wives on here have standard. He tells me to suck it up and go prime, because we cannot afford standard but I don't think he truly understands how bad it is for me.
    You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.
  2. Senior Member
    Okay. First of all... BREATH! Depending on your DH's rank your deductible for one person will be $50 (E1-4) or $150 (everyone else). You have to meet the deductible before you start cost sharing. A normal doctors appt before cosharing ran me between $40-70. Pregnancy is free, you just pay for the hospital stay (like $30 or so), plus baby is automatically enrolled in Prime so no worries with NICU stays. Coshare amounts depend on what you have done. I had a podiatrist appt, x-rays and cortisone injection for $56 the other day. Pretty cheap really. I had cancer 3 years ago on Standard and never hit my catastrophic cap of $1000 (and that was with multiple hospital stays, MRIs, CTs, chemo, I did hit to around $900 or so though, but over like a 7 month period). That's the major thing, if you did have a severe illness, the most you'll pay out of pocket for the whole year is $1000, then Tricare takes over completely. It's still 100x cheaper than other insurance companies, especially since there's no monthly fee.

Standard is definitely best for me. I'm picky. I want to choose who I see and research them. I have an extensive medical history and I want to make sure I see the best.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    My friend has Tricare Prime and she likes it. So I voted for that, even though I don't really know much
  4. AMD
    Just a heads up, if you're overseas and pregnant on Standard, and choose to be seen off post (in Korea, we can be seen on post, even on Tricare Standard), all maternity care is not free like in the states. The delivery is covered 100% (minus the $17/day fee for the hospital stay). Otherwise, you still must reach the $150 deductible and pay 20% of all office visits.
    Last edited by AMD; 08-29-2012 at 09:53 PM.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Okay. First of all... BREATH! Depending on your DH's rank your deductible for one person will be $50 (E1-4) or $150 (everyone else). You have to meet the deductible before you start cost sharing. A normal doctors appt before cosharing ran me between $40-70. Pregnancy is free, you just pay for the hospital stay (like $30 or so), plus baby is automatically enrolled in Prime so no worries with NICU stays. Coshare amounts depend on what you have done. I had a podiatrist appt, x-rays and cortisone injection for $56 the other day. Pretty cheap really. I had cancer 3 years ago on Standard and never hit my catastrophic cap of $1000 (and that was with multiple hospital stays, MRIs, CTs, chemo, I did hit to around $900 or so though, but over like a 7 month period). That's the major thing, if you did have a severe illness, the most you'll pay out of pocket for the whole year is $1000, then Tricare takes over completely. It's still 100x cheaper than other insurance companies, especially since there's no monthly fee.

Standard is definitely best for me. I'm picky. I want to choose who I see and research them. I have an extensive medical history and I want to make sure I see the best.
    That is how I am, a complete nut job on researching. However, DH can't get over the >$1000 when it could be FREE
    You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambe91 View Post
    That is how I am, a complete nut job on researching. However, DH can't get over the >$1000 when it could be FREE
    You could always try Prime and if you hate it switch. I tried it for 3 months when we got here and decided Standard just works better for me and I'm a lot happier. I seriously had 3 doctors appt this week because my PCM on base was ignoring everything and it started piling up. I love feeling like I am getting the care I want.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I am on prime and since being in the states I have never been seen onbase for pregnancy, so I got to choose my dr for my last 3 pregnancies. I hardly ever see a dr for general stuff (unless I am really sick), but I just request to see a female and have never has a problem

8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Another poster just recently was wondering about tricare. Go here and read the thread. The Navy and getting birth control pills?

I'm on standard and DH is and E4. I have never had a co-pay more the $20. I can go to ANY doctor I want including doctors who are not in the tricare network. If I go to someone who is not in the tricare network I pay 20% of the visit and 20% of any procedures.
  9. Senior Member
    I'm on Prime and have never gone to a military doctor, other than for emergency type stuff. (I'm not considering my time in Japan where the situation is very different.) You might look into what the situation for Prime is in your area. If MTF is full, then you will be able to select a civilian PCM and see them--always the same person, whom you have chosen from a list-- for all regular appointments, for free.

If you are truly looking for accurate info from your poll, you probably aren't going to get it. Since your title asks about costs for Standard, a lot of Primers are probably not going to to open the thread since they can't provide that in. Maybe you can edit your title to be "Tricare Standard or Prime".
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Banned
    Banned
    the rep was completely incorrect. I have only paid that 50.00 ( or more) co-pay when there were test run at the office- and the bill was 600 and I paid 87.00

I went to get my annual and there was no co-pay, I had surgery in Jan and the enite theing was 14,000 dollars it cost me 180

I had a skin biopsy and the test alone was 700 and it cost me 24.00 the office visit was 8.89 ( I just paid it)

I have not figured out the way they do it, I know I love it and love the freedom I have on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast