Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance .

1. Regular Member

Whatever Insurance .

Advertisements
    Not exactly sure where I was suppose to put this question but here it goes.
    I'm from Pennsylvania where I have my license and car registered (purchased in April) . When I got married two weeks ago we moved to Maryland where DH is stationed (we live off post though). In order to get my car insurance since I moved here I have to change everything over to Maryland apparently which is expensive for a new car. New tags, new license, registration stickers, taxes, etc. I can't get insurance out of PA because I have no address there anymore. My question is what do I do when we move to Texas? We move in 8 months and will be in Texas for 6 months then who know where. The insurance lady said she doesn't know. Will I have to change my car over to Maryland just to turn right around and change it to Texas? How did you guys do this ?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Um... you shouldn't have to change anything over. They just need to insure the car for whatever state it is domiciled in. You need to get insurance in MD, but you do not have to change anything over. Same with TX, you won't have to change anything, just have to call insurance company to change it to TX.

If you aren't using USAA, I recommend them, they are the best (IMO) when it comes to dealing with military insurance (and anything military).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    I'm not sure who you have for insurance but DH and I had USAA for the longest time and never had to change anything when we moved state to state. I went from CO to TX often, since I didn't stay there while he was deployed. All they needed me to do was update my address. Never had to mess with registration or anything. The entire time we were in CO we kept our cars registered in TX.
  4. Senior Member
    It's another one if those things that depends on the state. To keep my CA registration I have to keep my CA insurance. But KY insurance is way cheaper, so I am changing my insurance and registration to KY. there aren't many states that require that, though, so make sure you call and check.
  5. Regular Member
    The lady said they won't insure it since my mother is also on the lein unless it's through Maryland. Would it help if I tried to get it in my name? Would I still need to change my driver's license to Maryland since I have no address in PA anymore ? Sorry for all the questions- just frustated . =/
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Well that is likely a separate thing then, it could be because she is on it, and I would recommend getting it in your name.

You shouldn't have to change your DL, what is your husband's state of residency?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Regular Member
    He's from Texas. He's having no issues with his. I'm just having issues with mine. I will call USAA and see now.
    Banned
    I have USAA and we have always had to change it over. We were told that if we kept insurance from other areas and had an accident or issue living in a different state, we could have issues with claims and possibly not be covered.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PinupPrincess View Post
    The lady said they won't insure it since my mother is also on the lein unless it's through Maryland. Would it help if I tried to get it in my name? Would I still need to change my driver's license to Maryland since I have no address in PA anymore ? Sorry for all the questions- just frustated . =/
    Do you have a loan on the car through a third party with your mother as a co-signer?

Changing all your property over to a new state can have severe consequences.
    For example, we are residents of Florida, though we have not lived there in years. Florida has no state income tax. If we were to transfer our licenses and titles to a state that does, we may lose that status and have to pay state income taxes for that new state.

You should be able to maintain your insurance no matter where you are living, though the rates may go up based on the area the car will be the majority of the time.
    Whoever told you that you need to transfer everything is wrong. You may need to notify the lender, but that is it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    I have USAA and we have always had to change it over. We were told that if we kept insurance from other areas and had an accident or issue living in a different state, we could have issues with claims and possibly not be covered.
    Changing the insurance over yes, but not changing the titled state.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast