Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Becoming US citizen

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Becoming US citizen

Advertisements
    Hello, sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums...

I'm a British citizen and I'm currently visiting my husband in the US before he leaves in November for BCT. We have a 1 month old daughter born in the US. I'm supposed to leave back to UK in a few weeks because my non-visa visitor time expires. Obviously we want to spend as much time together as possible before he is gone for months of training and then possible long deployments. Is there any way to stay longer until he leaves in November? Do I become a citizen through the Army or have to apply now and pay thousands of dollars which we dont have? Im worried my daughter and I will be separated from him for a very long time due to this citizenship situation. Can someone please offer their knowledge on the matter? What are my options and what can I expect to happen?

thank you
    <3
    cant he just file for your residency? after a few years of having your residency you can apply to get your citizenship
    USCIS Home Page you can find information in here.
    army wont make you a citizen he has to submit a petition to get you your residency with USCIS before anything.
  3. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by armywiffey21 View Post
    cant he just file for your residency? after a few years of having your residency you can apply to get your citizenship
    USCIS Home Page you can find information in here.
    army wont make you a citizen he has to submit a petition to get you your residency with USCIS before anything.

You will still have to go thru all the other channels.. The Army doesn't do it.. Good luck!
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    So as far as I understand your spouse is U.S. citizen. Then you can file for green card. If you do it yourself without a lawyer it will cost you about $2000.
    You can stay with expired visa if you start the green card process.
    Unfortunately, Army have nothing to do with immigration services.
  5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    USCIS - Spouse

Bringing Spouses to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

Eligibility

In order to bring your spouse (husband or wife) to live in the United States as a green card holder (permanent resident), you must be either a U.S. citizen or green card holder.

Required Documentation

To complete the process, the petitioner must submit:

Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all required documentation, including:
    Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)
    A copy of your civil marriage certificate
    A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were terminated
    Passport style photos of you and your spouse (see Form I-130 instructions for photo requirements)
    Evidence of all legal name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.)
    If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:
    A copy of your valid U.S. passport OR
    A copy of your U.S. birth certificate OR
    A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR
    A copy of your naturalization certificate OR
    A copy of your certificate of citizenship

Continuance is on their official page. There is also a Military help line that your husband can call for advice. They WILL expedite the process for military families.

Military Help Line

USCIS has established a toll-free "Military Help Line" exclusively for members of the military and their families: 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645). For more information, see the "Military Help Line" link to the left.
  6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Also, don't bother with wasting your money on lawyers unless you desire convenience. The steps are simple enough to do it yourself as long as you file all paperwork as requested by USCIS.

The only thing the Army can offer is JAG for free advice.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    Continuance is on their official page. There is also a Military help line that your husband can call for advice. They WILL expedite the process for military families.

Military Help Line

USCIS has established a toll-free "Military Help Line" exclusively for members of the military and their families: 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645). For more information, see the "Military Help Line" link to the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    The only thing the Army can offer is JAG for free advice.
    Unfortunately, neither of these options will work for you right now since your husband is not in the Army yet. You should start the process now though if you want to be able to live together once he is finished with his training.
  8. Junior Member
    I'm from the UK too We went a different route from you guys - we applied for the K1 finace visa. Anyway, the correct way to become a legal resident would be to apply for the IR1/CR1, but that means that you would have to go back to the UK and wait for it to be processed - I'm not sure of the waiting time right now. As people have said, you can apply for residency while in the US, however it is actually seen as illegal as you would have come to the US, on the visa waiver program, with the intent to immigrate - which is not what the 90 days you are given are for. A great website that helped us through the long immigration process is VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community - it's really, really helpful

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods