Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Navy and getting birth control pills?

1. Senior Member

The Navy and getting birth control pills?

Advertisements
    I just got married and will be joining DH in Virginia in a few months after he finds us an apartment and BAH starts kicking in. We're both unsure of how things will go to get me in to see a gyno and get me a new prescription of BC pills. I'm on them for severe menstrual pain and must have them every month. I'm wondering how long it can take to get an appointment to see a doctor and what days they're open? DH wants to go with me since I'll be in a new place and it's a new doctor . plus just in case he needs to be there for any sort of paperwork.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You'll be in Norfolk? You need to have him call Tricare and make sure that you're on Tricare North. Then, you'll need to call in (I recommend NMCP [Naval Medical Center Portsmouth] for your first appointment since they generally have the soonest openings-- Sewell's Point, Boone Clinic, and the other branch clinics are also options, but you tend to have to wait longer) and make an appointment. It could be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

One question is whether you want to be on Tricare Standard or Tricare Prime. I recommend going to Tricare's website and researching them to see which you would prefer to have.

Home

North Region
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Banned
    As soon as you get put into deers, you can find out which tricare area you would be in. I'm not sure which section Alabama is in, and then you can make an appointment with a medical provider that accepts tricare for your gyno appt., and receive your birth control.

If you are waiting until you get to VA, and you are on tricare prime, you just call the 1 800 number and they set you up with an appointment on base. If you are on tricare standard, you locate a physician that accepts tricare, and go from there.
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    You'll have to contact TriCare and tell them you're moving. Then they will assign you a new primary care doc (PCM) who can write you a script, as well as send you to a GYN if you need it. If you're afraid you're going to run out of BC pills before that happens (assignment can take a few weeks), then I would have your current doctor write you a Rx for your BC pills. You'll be able to get the Rx filled whereever. No need to wait.

I once had a PCM who was like, "I can't write you another Rx until you've had a physical again." -- She was super by the book. and I asked her to just write it for 1 or 2 months just to tide me over while the paperwork got kicked through the system. She complied.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. Senior Member
    It all depends on if you want to stay on Tricare Standard or switch to Prime once you're in DEERS. If you're on Standard now you can make an appointment with a civilian doctor in Alabama if you wanted and get your BC pills. It's easier if they take Tricare. You will pay a deductible though for your appt.

If you switch to Prime you may have to wait to get seen on base. I can usually get in within a week here, but it varies by base.
  6. Senior Member
    I'm not on tricare yet, we just got married and I can't get on it until I join him in Virginia so I can sign the papers and get my ID. And yes it will be in the Norfolk area. I'm hoping to get some extra packs of pills during my next gyno appointment with my current doctor. But if not, do yall think I could still fill my prescription from my current doctor even after I change insurance? She writes them for a year at a time. I wasn't sure if maybe I could keep filling that same one from her, or if I would have to go through the whole exam and new prescription again from a doctor there on base and with tricare?

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  7. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    I'm not on tricare yet, we just got married and I can't get on it until I join him in Virginia so I can sign the papers and get my ID. And yes it will be in the Norfolk area. I'm hoping to get some extra packs of pills during my next gyno appointment with my current doctor. But if not, do yall think I could still fill my prescription from my current doctor even after I change insurance? She writes them for a year at a time. I wasn't sure if maybe I could keep filling that same one from her, or if I would have to go through the whole exam and new prescription again from a doctor there on base and with tricare?
    You can go to ANY military base and get an ID. Make sure you call ahead to see exactly what you will need to do that. You might need a POA and I'm sure there is a forum your DH will have to fill out and give you (ask if a fax is ok, if not have him mail it to you).

That way you can start using your insurance right away instead of waiting a few months.
  8. Senior Member
    He mentioned something about going to a different base, but they told him that I had to go to the base he is stationed at. I don't know the details, plus I don't even know where any bases are around me. I know we don't have a Navy base.

I'm going to talk to DH tomorrow about whether we will get prime or standard, I think I might prefer standard since you can go to doctors off base and really get to choose who you see (hope I'm understand that right and not getting it mixed up). I've heard too many stories of the doctors at the Navy medical centers rushing with their patients and making it seem like they don't want you there. I had my doctor here rush her exam on me once and it just made it take longer for her and extremely uncomfortable for me in all possible ways. lol I never visited her while she was working at the hospital again, she get's too full there and rushes way too much because of it.

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Your married!!! Yes!!!
    Not going to get pregnant until your done with college..Even better yes!!!!

see you in Virginia!!!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Senior Member
    I'm not going to college. If I did do anything though it would just be one of those 1 or 2 year things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast