Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricare after separation from Army?

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Tricare after separation from Army?

Advertisements
    Apparently I suck at finding the info on Tricare's website, and I don't have the patience to wait for an hour and a day (yes, I'm exaggerating ) to ask them over the phone. So I figured with the wealth of knowledge on here, I'd see if any of ya'll can answer this for me since I've heard conflicting stories.

DH is officially done with the Army as of November 9th. My question is, how long will Tricare cover us after that date? I've heard the day he's done, our benefits end, but then I've also heard 3 months and then 6 months. So, as health insurance is a big thing to lose, I'd like to know what I have to work with, kwim? TIA!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I thought I read somewhere that it was six months once a upon a time but I can't tell you where or when I saw that It was probably on here, though.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm trying to remember what DH said ... my Tricare stops covering me on his ETS date but he can use his for 3 more months, I think that's how it worked.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that it was six months once a upon a time but I can't tell you where or when I saw that It was probably on here, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I'm trying to remember what DH said ... my Tricare stops covering me on his ETS date but he can use his for 3 more months, I think that's how it worked.
    Hmm...my biggest concern about it is DS. I need to know when his benefits will end due to the fact that he has a 12 month check-up/shots scheduled for 4 days after DH's separation date. So I'm not sure if he'll still be covered, or if I should try and get him an earlier appt, kwim?

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    Hmm...my biggest concern about it is DS. I need to know when his benefits will end due to the fact that he has a 12 month check-up/shots scheduled for 4 days after DH's separation date. So I'm not sure if he'll still be covered, or if I should try and get him an earlier appt, kwim?
    Ohhh yeah I see what you're saying. I have no idea then ... I guess since we don't have kids he didn't find out. I could see it going either way, I hope you find your answer.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post

As far as I know, they won't see him earlier to do the shots because of the time length between each booster. I tried to get Wyatt seen before we left Hawaii (would have been 3 weeks short of his 12month) and his ped told me that they won't even do shots a day early.
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Ohhh yeah I see what you're saying. I have no idea then ... I guess since we don't have kids he didn't find out. I could see it going either way, I hope you find your answer.
    Thanks

As far as I know, they won't see him earlier to do the shots because of the time length between each booster. I tried to get Wyatt seen before we left Hawaii (would have been 3 weeks short of his 12month) and his ped told me that they won't even do shots a day early.
    Ugh, if that's the case, and Landon's coverage ends, we could be royally screwed. There's no way between the move, loss of job, etc, that'd we'd be able to afford that out of pocket.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

EDIT: Just re-read all that I posted and realized your DH doesn't fall into that. Still reading through the website for you , though
  9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Here's what I found on vetsfirst.org :

TRICARE and Transitional Health Care

TRICARE is a DoD program that provides in-service and post-service health care to eligible military personnel and their family members. The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) offers transitional TRICARE coverage to certain separating active duty members and their families members. Health care is available for a limited time. TRICARE eligibility under TAMP is available up to 180 days. There are four categories of eligibility for TAMP:

Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
    National Guard and Reserve members (collectively known as the Reserve Component [RC]), separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days. Family members are also eligible.
    Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation, as well as their family members; and
    Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission, as well as their family members.Active duty sponsors and family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime who desire to continue their enrollment upon the sponsoring service member’s separation from active duty status are required to re-enroll. To re-enroll, the sponsor or family member must complete and submit a TRICARE Prime enrollment application. You should contact your servicing personnel center prior to separating to see if you are TAMP eligible.
    Please note: Transitional health care does not apply to retirees.

After the 180-day period for transitional health care has expired, you and your family are no longer eligible to use military treatment facilities or TRICARE. However, you may purchase extended health care coverage, known as the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP). You have 60 days after your initial transitional health care ends to enroll in CHCBP. If you enroll, you and your family members will be issued identification cards that will allow you to use military treatment TRICARE Home.

If, however, you separate voluntarily, you and your family are not eligible to use military treatment facilities or TRICARE. Nevertheless, you may purchase extended transitional health care coverage (CHCBP) for up to 18 months of coverage. You have 60 days after separation to enroll in CHCBP, and, if you do, your coverage will begin on the day after your separation.
    So tell me if I'm reading this wrong, but basically it's saying unless we purchase additional coverage, we are no longer covered under our current Tricare health coverage after his separation date.

10. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    Yup that sounds right. Its like any other job when you lose benefits. At my old job I had to work a certain amount of hours to keep my benefits and if I didnt I would get dropped until I started getting enough hours a month again and they gave me the option to pay a higher amount for it up to 6 months or so which also went for if I got laid off or quit.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast