Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space-A/ MAC flights

1. Senior Member

Space-A/ MAC flights

Advertisements
    Has anyone every taken advantage of space-a flights? If so, can you please tell me about your experience and let me ask you a couple of questions. I am trying to do this with my boys while hubby is deployed. I have found the basic information, signed up, etc. But the unknown is killing me. I am nervous about getting back lol! We are staying state side, and from what I can tell there are PLENTY of flights from point A to B and back, but I just don't know what to expect. Will I be able to buckle in the kids car seats? Are kids even frequently on these flights? What was your experience with seats available, waiting for flights, etc? Thanks to anyone who can shed some insight!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Kids are on Space A flights fairly often. My husband just flew Space A from Souda Bay, Greece to Dover, DE last month. Flights get cancelled on short/no notice, delayed for 2 or 3 days (so you have to pick up the hotel/eating costs and find something to do), what had open seats will suddenly be filled because folks travelling on orders drop in, so the next flight to your destination is another week's wait, etc. Sometimes you get through quickly, other times what would've been a 10 hour flight turns into a week and a half journey. The key is to fly to large hubs instead of trying to go to smaller bases-- but then those hubs generally do a lot of cargo transport, so you may get booted if they have an extra load to deliver.

So it's sketchy, but free.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    Thank you! I *think* what we are trying to fly to/from are large hubs, McChord and Andrews, but I'm not sure. An unplanned week and a half adventure sounds a bit dicey!
  4. Senior Member
    Whether you'll be able to snap the kids into a carseat or not depends on the type of plane you will be traveling in. Also, if you're traveling with an infant/child under 35 lbs, verify that there will be a life vest available for them; you will NOT be able to bring your own life vest for them. Be prepared to wait. Know your category number. Make sure that you have all the documentation needed to travel without your sponsor.

Spacea.net is a great resource to use.

Find out if your AMC Terminal has a Facebook page. That's the easiest way to find out if flights are available. Be aware that flights are only posted up to 72 hrs out. Flights can change at any time without notice.

It's a great adventure if you've got the flexibility to do it.
  5. Senior Member
    Yes, flexibility is the key. I suggest you stop by the terminal at McChord and ask them how often they have flights to Andrews. But just so you know, just because there are frequent flights in one direction does not mean there will be frequent flights in the opposite direction.

ps - and it is AMC not MAC
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I don't have any personal experience, but yes, make sure you have plenty of flexibility with time. A friend of mine has been trying to get from WA to Guam, and I believe she flew from WA (after having to wait a couple days) to Sacramento--was stuck there for a couple days--now has made it to Los Angeles. LOL She knew what she was getting herself (and her three kids) into but it still sucks! Of course she's thankful for the free flights, but it can be quite the journey!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Flexibility is a big key. During PCS season, it is hard to get flights right now. During the school year, a bit easier.

If you aren't traveling with a sponsor, you will be Cat 5. Be prepared to sit for awhile and have to get a hotel room for a few days.

We have a co-worker that is trying to get back to Ramstein from BWI. He has been there two weeks. Using up all his leave sitting there. Others, had to purchase tickets last minute to make it back in time.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    Actually, if I'm reading correctly, her sponsor is deployed and therefore she'd be Cat IV if he's deployed for 120 consecutive days but less than 366.

From Spacea.net: CAT IV: Unaccompanied Dependents on EML or dependents of deployed service members who's sponsor is deployed for 120 consecutive days but less than 366 and DoDDS Teachers on EML During Summer
  9. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    Can you travel with a dog?

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishie View Post
    Can you travel with a dog?
    No, you cannot travel with a dog. I don't know if this applies to service pets, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast