Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Getting married soon, what are my first things to do right after?

  1. Senior Member
    USMCwife123's Avatar
    USMCwife123 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    1,698
    Blog Entries
    1
    #1

    Confused Getting married soon, what are my first things to do right after?

    Advertisements
    Okay so DF comes home from deployment very soon and then in XXX days, we will be married. I live in WA and he stationed in Cali. We want a place off base to live.
    The things is, that i will only be in Cali for his 96 and we are gettin married one of those days and then I will be heading back to WA Until he gets his post deployment leave and then we are off to his home state and I won't be back in Cali until after his leave month. During the time I'm back I'm Cali in October is when we will look at apartments.

    Do I need to be with him to sign up for DEERS and military ID card?
    When can we apply for BAH?
    Does he need me to be with him to sign me up for tricare?

    Any advice as well? Im stressing out. I just don't know what steps to do right away


    (wrote this from my iPhone, so sorry if it's confusing)

    TIA!!
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 08-14-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: OPSEC issue
    Vmigirl & missmay are my wifies!



    DH is out of the Marines and now I'm joining the military!
    Excited to see what the next few years hold for us


  2. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #2
    Getting your ID will enroll you in Tricare. As far as I know, you need to be there to get your ID, but he might be able to enroll you in DEERS alone. Your husband will need his marriage certificate to change his status and put in for BAH, though, it won't go into his paychecks immediately.


  3. Senior Member
    USMCwife123's Avatar
    USMCwife123 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    1,698
    Blog Entries
    1
    #3
    Thank you!!
    Vmigirl & missmay are my wifies!



    DH is out of the Marines and now I'm joining the military!
    Excited to see what the next few years hold for us


  4. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #4
    Make sure to have your birth certificate (a photocopy wont always work, depends on the person you have, so have an original copy), photo ID, SS card and marriage cert.
  5. Senior Member
    RetepDoc's Avatar
    RetepDoc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,618
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Getting your ID will enroll you in Tricare. As far as I know, you need to be there to get your ID, but he might be able to enroll you in DEERS alone. Your husband will need his marriage certificate to change his status and put in for BAH, though, it won't go into his paychecks immediately.
    Actually getting an ID does not enroll you in tricare automatically. It only enrolls you in DEERS and makes you eligible for Tricare.

    OP, when you go to get your ID, they will give you some paperwork which you can then submit to become enrolled in Tricare. But it is a seperate process from getting your ID card. You will need to go in person to get your ID. I am not sure about the process for Tricare though since I have my own insurance and decided not to enroll in tricare. You will need to bring an official copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and 2 (maybe only 1 but I cant remember) forms of Government IDs

    To start BAH you will need to go to finance with a copy of your marriage certificate and they will set it up.
  6. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,834
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Actually getting an ID does not enroll you in tricare automatically. It only enrolls you in DEERS and makes you eligible for Tricare.
    Not true, you only have to enroll if you want Prime, you are automatically enrolled in Standard.

    From the Tricare website:


    TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available to all non-active duty beneficiaries throughout the United States. Enrollment is not required. Coverage is automatic as long as your information is current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.
  7. Banned
    ppdrecovery's Avatar
    ppdrecovery is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    33
    #7
    If your soon to be hubby is stationed on camp pendleton they have a place called the "JRC". That is where tricare and deers registration happens. Do bring all those documents. I would call your or have your fiancee call his command's family readiness officer for more info. Their job is this type if information. Good luck and congrats!
  8. Senior Member
    RetepDoc's Avatar
    RetepDoc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,618
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Not true, you only have to enroll if you want Prime, you are automatically enrolled in Standard.

    From the Tricare website:


    TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available to all non-active duty beneficiaries throughout the United States. Enrollment is not required. Coverage is automatic as long as your information is current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.
    That is interesting. We were given paperwork to fill out if we wanted me to have Tricare. We opted not to and therefore I am not covered by Tricare and have no health insurance through them.
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Rissa*Rawr's Avatar
    Rissa*Rawr is offline
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    25,582
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    That is interesting. We were given paperwork to fill out if we wanted me to have Tricare. We opted not to and therefore I am not covered by Tricare and have no health insurance through them.
    I would call someone about that because when you get enrolled in DEERS, you are automatically enrolled in Tricare Standard.

    "Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. Senior Member
    RetepDoc's Avatar
    RetepDoc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,618
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I would call someone about that because when you get enrolled in DEERS, you are automatically enrolled in Tricare Standard.
    ehh it isn't a big deal...we aren't paying for it and I am not using it. Now if we were being charged for it...then I would definitely call them up. But I just checked our mypay and there are no deductions for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •