Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about ID

1. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

Question about ID

Advertisements
    Once DF and I get married and we get my ID, can we go back and get a new one once I change my name? I may not change my name untill after I graduate.
  2. Senior Member
    they put my husbands last name on mine as my last name and i hadnt changed my name yet. sometimes they will just do it to save you the time. but i know if they dont, you can go back and change it once you change your name.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Once you change your name you will be able to get a new one. Depending on the office you can also have it put on your ID before officially changing it with the SS office or DMV if you want.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

yes you can, however I have my ID in my married name but my license and everything else in my maiden name (everything military is married name, everything not is maiden if that makes sense). I just carry a copy of my marriage certificate with me in case some one questions it and have never had a problem.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When I got mine, the woman strongly suggested I get my married name on the ID even though it's not legally changed until next year.
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    My lady wouldn't let me get my married name until I changed it legally. So, yes you should be able to get a new id once your name changes.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    yes you can, however I have my ID in my married name but my license and everything else in my maiden name (everything military is married name, everything not is maiden if that makes sense). I just carry a copy of my marriage certificate with me in case some one questions it and have never had a problem.
    may i ask why you did this? is it something you recommend? DB and i are going to get married but I am not going to change my name right away. should i go ahead and have my military stuff with his last name?

"I love you gorgeous and I'm so happy you are mine."
    Our Day Has Come
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by thenewlaura View Post
    may i ask why you did this? is it something you recommend? DB and i are going to get married but I am not going to change my name right away. should i go ahead and have my military stuff with his last name?
    Being a non citizen and already having my passport in my maiden name and then starting my green card process very shortly after getting married (had to do that in my maiden name cause I couldn't get to the Aust embassy to change it before we started the process), it was easier for us because I basically have to get my passport and green card all changed over the same day and the process is tricky. When we went to DEERS and got my ID they asked if I planned on changing my name in the future and I said yes, so they automatically put my husbands last name on my ID. Honestly, if you CAN legally change your name (and are going to), I recommend getting it done asap.

9. C Squared
    C Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    My lady wouldn't let me get my married name until I changed it legally. So, yes you should be able to get a new id once your name changes.
    Same here. I've been married just over a month and haven't been able to get my military ID changed to my married name yet. I actually made my appointment for the end of the month. We got my ID the day after we got married and I hadn't had time to change both my SS and license. I only had my social done and they wouldn't let me do it. So while we were at the office my DH signed another form with the guy who was processing my military ID that lasts up to 90 days because I don't have a POA and DH needed to go back to Afghanistan. At the end of the month, my military ID will have my married name.

" i'm ready to come home. i just wanna get home. i love having you at my disposal" DH
  10. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Thanks everyone!! There is a big discussion going on right now about my name on my diploma and we'd rather have all of my ID's match.
    '
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast