Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GI Bill question? Pay 100% for school AND a paycheck?

1. Regular Member

GI Bill question? Pay 100% for school AND a paycheck?

Advertisements
    My husband is active duty Navy, has been in 3 years, and will be medically discharge by Christmas. He mentioned to me his intent now is to go to school full time and not work. He has it in his head that I believe the GI bill or some type of benefit will pay 100% for school (up to $40,000) AND give him a paycheck to live on. He is sure they will give him the housing allowance. He also said that he will need to attend classes in person to be able to do this.

This all sounds too good to be true to me. I don't know if he is getting all his information from the smoke deck or what. Also I don't know if he would be eligible for a program given the fact he has $50,000 in student loan debt from the degree he got before joining the Navy. Does anyone know of a program like this or if all of this is possible under the GI bill? I looked up the GI bills website and it touches on all these points. I'm worried about finances after he gets out and I don't think we would have enough to live on if he does this.
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Usually you have to have 36 months of active duty(excluding training like boot camp and A school) to qualify for 100% of the GI bill, I believe a medicle discharge makes it shorter. As far as I know he should get E5 bah and more then likely VA disability if he is getting a medicle discharge.
  3. ...
    The New GI Bill - Calculator

That's a good place to figure out what he will get when he goes to school.
  4. Regular Member
    Thanks! This has been really helpful. Also out of his 3 years he spent 8 months in boot camp/training so thats good to know. The housing allowance would be nice but he needs to understand that he will not get his paycheck in full. Also he will be medically discharged but we don't know if he will reach the 30% disabled mark to receive any of those benefits, so I'm not sure how that will play into the GI bill.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    makes sure he is set up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and not the Montgomery GI Bill
  6. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy_Em View Post
    Thanks! This has been really helpful. Also out of his 3 years he spent 8 months in boot camp/training so thats good to know. The housing allowance would be nice but he needs to understand that he will not get his paycheck in full. Also he will be medically discharged but we don't know if he will reach the 30% disabled mark to receive any of those benefits, so I'm not sure how that will play into the GI bill.
    You also have to remember that when the school has breaks like winter break or spring break you don't get the full month's BAH just a portion.
  7. Senior Member
    You already found the right info. If he goes full time he should get the tuition (assuming he chooses an in state school or yellow ribbon school, otherwise he may have to pay some out of pocket), book stipend and BAH at the E5 with dependents rate. This rate is prorated on months that he's not in school all the way though (like Christmas break, Spring Break, summer breaks he would get less or none unless he's attending).

How much you can live off the BAH would depend on where you're living. BAH goes farther in some cities than others. But I would think that one of you would at minimum need to work part time. He also may qualify for other additional forms of aid including Pell Grant (harder to qualify, but some still do) depending on your financial situation when he gets out.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    it is true he can get tuition assistance and a housing allowance, this is for the post 9/11 gi bill.

you can google it to get the best information
  9. Regular Member
    Thanks for all the info! I didn't even think about the fact that it would be prorated. When I put the rough figures in the calculator it said we would receive about 1,000 a month in allowance (non prorated), receive about 600 towards books and he would pay out of pocket 600 a semester I believe. Given his obligations and bills, the 1,000 wouldn't even go towards our living costs and I cannot afford to support us both with the 2 jobs I have. We're going to have a heart to heart this weekend about things so I'm glad I've got some facts on what he is talking about. I want him to do this but also understand he will have to at least work part time.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy_Em View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I didn't even think about the fact that it would be prorated. When I put the rough figures in the calculator it said we would receive about 1,000 a month in allowance (non prorated), receive about 600 towards books and he would pay out of pocket 600 a semester I believe. Given his obligations and bills, the 1,000 wouldn't even go towards our living costs and I cannot afford to support us both with the 2 jobs I have. We're going to have a heart to heart this weekend about things so I'm glad I've got some facts on what he is talking about. I want him to do this but also understand he will have to at least work part time.
    What would he have to pay for out of pocket? If you have so many bills I would be doing everything possible to pay off as much as possible now because the school process can take a while to set up too. He should be able to apply for unemployment until he finds some kind of part time job to help contribute more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast