Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question About the LES

1. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries

Question About the LES

Advertisements
    DH emailed said that according to his LES we are getting about 300 dollars less than what we usually get on his pay check...that's a lot....
    I went to go look and I compared past LES.

I saw that the PRIOR SPT/COMM amount on the deductions column was about 250 dollars less than what it usually is (Which seems that's where we are missing money) I dont get it...it is listed as -XXX.XX, it has the minus sign in front of it. on the other LES it is listed the same with the minus sign in front of it so I am guessing that's not a deduction, it's an addition to his pay? which means that because it only shows half of what is usually shows, thats why we are missing that much right?

But...what exactly is Prior SPT/COMM?

I tried googling it, but it said something about child support...which he does not have
    Distance Divas

2. Senior Member

That is all I can find, too so it could be a mistake and he needs to go to PSD to get it resolved.
  3. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    That is all I can find, too so it could be a mistake and he needs to go to PSD to get it resolved.
    see..the thing is it's on ALL his LES that I saw....
    Distance Divas

4. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    it can be anything actually... anything that is a garnishment.

Childsupport, Allimony, monies owed the government (military, IRS), a company that was able to get a judge to put a garnishment on his military pay. Anything.

He can call DFAS and find out what it is for... they are supposed to also send a letter to the address they have listed for the service member whenever they start a SUP/COM saying what it is for and why.

Unfort. PSD will more than likely have no way of seeing anything on this.. as it is all done in Cleveland at DFAS headquarters.

We have 2 of these one for each of the boys.. and it is handled directly there. We have gone to PSD and they have been able to tell us nil about it .... we ended up getting the letter from DFAS explaining (the one we were questioning) why they changed the amount (lol CS asked them to lower it because it had been wrong but never told us).
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  5. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickels View Post
    it can be anything actually... anything that is a garnishment.

Childsupport, Allimony, monies owed the government (military, IRS), a company that was able to get a judge to put a garnishment on his military pay. Anything.

He can call DFAS and find out what it is for... they are supposed to also send a letter to the address they have listed for the service member whenever they start a SUP/COM saying what it is for and why.

Unfort. PSD will more than likely have no way of seeing anything on this.. as it is all done in Cleveland at DFAS headquarters.

We have 2 of these one for each of the boys.. and it is handled directly there. We have gone to PSD and they have been able to tell us nil about it .... we ended up getting the letter from DFAS explaining (the one we were questioning) why they changed the amount (lol CS asked them to lower it because it had been wrong but never told us).

That makes a bit more sense, and kind of relieved he doesn't have a kid that we don't know about lol.
    But what I am stil confused is why it's showing as a negative number on the deduction side... From what I saw its money being put back into his check not taken out which explains why we have a small pay check cuz the usual amount is like 400 something and this time it was only 200
    Distance Divas

6. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by His Special One View Post
    That makes a bit more sense, and kind of relieved he doesn't have a kid that we don't know about lol.
    But what I am stil confused is why it's showing as a negative number on the deduction side... From what I saw its money being put back into his check not taken out which explains why we have a small pay check cuz the usual amount is like 400 something and this time it was only 200
    I know DH's looks like

fed xxx
    fica xxx
    sgli xxx
    sgli/fam xxx
    prior support -xxx
    prior support -xxx
    prior support xxx

the bottom one is always a comb. of both of the top two.... because they with hold 1/2 out of the 1st pay check and then the remaining out of the full LES pay check which is what gets sent to the CS people... but they take it out of the 1/2 pay check and put it in a seperate account that DFAS has.. like a holding account... then they put it back in to your pay check which is where you get the negative part... and then it shows the full amount coming out again.

I know it is strange but it is how they keep record.

Hope that helps!

Edit:

lol i reread that and figured you might get confuzzzed

ok so if the
    Prior -100
    prior -100
    prior 200

they are showing where they are putting -100 in to the member pay check because they with held the amount from the 2 pay checks in their holding account.... and then where it has the 200 that is where they are actually paying it out to the person who it is owed too. so it is a negative.. and the member is NOT getting that money.
  7. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so that makes a lot more sense!!

except on DH's LES he doesnt have that
    Prior -100
    prior -100
    prior 200

he only has the PRIOr -100....

but I did check the other colums and he has two other ones
    Pay Released
    Support/COMM DEBT

sometimes the pay released will be the same as the "Prior SPT/COMM" and the Support/COMM Debt will be half of that

ex:
    on most it's like this

Pay Released 200
    Suppor/ COMM Debt 200
    Prior SPT/COMM -200

or, on the one before this one it shows like this

Pay Released 200
    Support/COMM Debt 100
    Prior SPT/COMM -200

on this one, where it shows a significant difference is

Pay Released 100
    Support/COMM Debt 200
    Prior SPT/COMM - 100

I think that I might know what it's for.
    WHen he first got stationed in VA in 2009 (we didnt come with him) he bought a car. shortly after, he left on a mini deployment/underway for about 3 months, during those three months, he wasnt able to pay and his car got towed from the parking lot on the shipyard. and since he wasnt there to get it back right away (he didnt know anyone here) the bank auctioned his car...I am thinking that's where the whole "DEBT" comes into place...to pay the difference right?

but if so....why did they take out a big chunk out of his pay check this time?
    literally...we are only getting paid like 1,000 dollars...............
    Distance Divas

8. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    that would be a good reason as to why they are taking the money.

Have your DH call DFAS... and the bank the lean was thru. They will both have records of it... so will the county in which the judgement was placed.

I abhoar VA ... they tend to make up things as they go.