Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: National Guard Benefits

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

National Guard Benefits

Advertisements
    My husband said since he's part time for the NG that they said I wouldn't get medical coverage. Is this true?
    Also is there a place I could get information to see what I am entitled to?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What do you mean part time NG?

To my knowledge there are only two real types of guardsmen, active and drilling. Active NG are pretty much active duty/full time and they get benefits. There are very few people in this position.

Most people are drilling guardsmen (1 weekend a month, two weeks a year) and there are no real benefits that either him or you are entitled too. The service member get paid for the time they are at drill or training, but that is it. No BAH, no free medical, no housing, no nothing.
  3. Senior Member
    You should be able to buy into Tricare Reserve Select, I think it's something like $180 a month for families? But no you won't get free Tricare coverage unless he's activated for an extended period of time either due to deployment or in an AGR slot.
  4. Regular Member
    Nope. Unless your husband purchases Tricare Reserve Select or he gets activated.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    What do you mean part time NG?

To my knowledge there are only two real types of guardsmen, active and drilling. Active NG are pretty much active duty/full time and they get benefits. There are very few people in this position.

Most people are drilling guardsmen (1 weekend a month, two weeks a year) and there are no real benefits that either him or you are entitled too. The service member get paid for the time they are at drill or training, but that is it. No BAH, no free medical, no housing, no nothing.
    This is correct. There are very few benefits for National Guard soldiers unless they are activated/deployed.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    you are not entitled to anything- as he is the NG member- HE can elect to pay into the tricare reserve select. it is 180 dollars a month.
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you are not entitled to anything- as he is the NG member- HE can elect to pay into the tricare reserve select. it is 180 dollars a month.
    ditto