Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Base Medical doesn't see Civilians - So forced to go off base and pay Co Pays

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help Base Medical doesn't see Civilians - So forced to go off base and pay Co Pays

Advertisements
    My DH is stationed at Quantico MCB. We were told by people who work at base medical that they do not see civilians due to high traffic. Since I can't go to base medical, I have to go to doctors off base and pay co-pays. So my question is - since I am unable to be seen at base medical, is there a way I can get Tricare to cover the whole bill; instead of just a portion of it? Thanks in advance!
  2. Regular Member
    Are you prime or standard??? I know in this area since there are so many people they have other clinics off base. I go to the one that used to be in Woodbrige but has moved to Dumfries. If you are on prime then you should be able to create an account online and change your PCM you can pick where you go.
  3. Senior Member

I am in San Diego and was forced to go off base to see a civi doc since the outpatient clinics here were at capacity and I don't pay copays because I am still Prime. If I take my Rx's to civi pharmacies I do pay somewhere $12-$15 per Rx but I take them to the base to get processed.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you are on Prime and they do not have room on base to be seen, they should give you a referral to have your PCM a civilian doctor. We had to do it at one base with the kids when they were short on pediatricians.

Two cautions, they only gave us a list of three to choose from and when space opened up they were reassigned back to the MTF when a new pediatrician came in.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have been seeing an off base pcm with out co pays for a while now
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lyniece005 View Post
    Are you prime or standard??? I know in this area since there are so many people they have other clinics off base. I go to the one that used to be in Woodbrige but has moved to Dumfries. If you are on prime then you should be able to create an account online and change your PCM you can pick where you go.
    Sorry, I forgot to add that part! I have Tricare Prime. Do you know if there are any clinics in the Fredericksburg area?
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicaxak View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to add that part! I have Tricare Prime. Do you know if there are any clinics in the Fredericksburg area?
    No, i'm not sure, on Tricare online you can pick your area and it gives you a list of doctors. I'm only living here for school Dh is actually stationed in Hampton. That's the only thing I hate about being in the DMV area there are so many military and gov people that you get shuffled around.
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    If you are on Prime and they do not have room on base to be seen, they should give you a referral to have your PCM a civilian doctor. We had to do it at one base with the kids when they were short on pediatricians.

Two cautions, they only gave us a list of three to choose from and when space opened up they were reassigned back to the MTF when a new pediatrician came in.
    ditto...its like that here, and we never have had to pay a co pay. Did that too in Portsmouth when the naval hospital was full.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Being that you are in this area, you will likely have to go to Woodbridge/Dumfries or Belvoir if there is no room at Quantico. I don't think you will get authorization to go completely civilian, even on Prime. You have to be more than 50 miles away from ANY MTF in order to get approval for civilian care on Prime. There are at least 6 bases (MTFs) within 50 miles of Quantico. You should be able to get into Belvoir without a problem, its twice the size of Quantico and Dumfries.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't