Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question reguarding BAH

1. Regular Member

Question reguarding BAH

Advertisements
    Me and my husband recently got married. And he is still living in the barracks, and I am still living at my Grandma's house. On post housing has a 2 year waiting list, and I am wonder what is the process is to go about trying to get BAH? He said another guy in his unit got married and tried to get BAH and was denied it. My husband is in the Navy, and I am not sure how the Navy works since I was Army myself. I just want to be able to live with my husband, especially since I applied for a job on base and don't want to have to drive almost 100 miles just to go to work.
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Are you entered in deers? If you are it's almost automatic. As long as your in deers he'll start getting bah and allowed to live out in town. It's takes a few weeks for it to kick in though.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Has he entered you into DEERS yet as his dependent? If not he needs to do that and he should be prepared to get kicked out of the barracks. They military "most of the time" will deny BAH if the member is still living in the barracks since they are providing housing.

I would figure out what his BAH would be and start looking for places off base ASAP. Once you are a dependent you can get on the housing wait list but until then you need to find a place.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    if he starts collectig BAH he will have to move out of the barracks

has he put you in the system yet?
  5. Regular Member
    Yes he has me enrolled in DEERS.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT_Tori92 View Post
    Yes he has me enrolled in DEERS.

Has he talked to his command about staying in the barracks, when he has to move out, ect? He will not (in most cases) be allowed to collect BAH while he is living in the barracks so the sooner you all find a place and he moves out, I believe the sooner he can start collecting BAH.
  7. Senior Member
    They won't backdate your BAH to the date you got married, they will only backdate it to the day he moved out of the barracks. B/c (as previous posters mentioned), you don't qualify for BAH if he's living in the barracks. Definitely look for a place off-post asap. The sooner he leaves the barracks, the sooner you will qualify for BAH.
  8. Senior Member
    You need to find an apt, house, whatnot, to rent asap. You will have to show them a lease and bills going to that address. Or, we have had to everytime we have moved to a different base. But obviously, you don't want to be getting something until you know you are getting BAH. But I don't see why they would deny him if he has you enrolled in DEERS and he talks to whomever. Not sure on that account.
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashleeg View Post
    You need to find an apt, house, whatnot, to rent asap. You will have to show them a lease and bills going to that address. Or, we have had to everytime we have moved to a different base. But obviously, you don't want to be getting something until you know you are getting BAH. But I don't see why they would deny him if he has you enrolled in DEERS and he talks to whomever. Not sure on that account.
    What will probably happen is he will get moved into Geo-bach barracks and they can wait then until BAH kicks in.

OP, he probably needs to talk to PSD or Admin and run a chit requesting BAH and then get working on moving into a geo-bach barracks as I mentioned above. Thats what DH and I had to do.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    What will probably happen is he will get moved into Geo-bach barracks and they can wait then until BAH kicks in.

OP, he probably needs to talk to PSD or Admin and run a chit requesting BAH and then get working on moving into a geo-bach barracks as I mentioned above. Thats what DH and I had to do.
    VERY few places even have this option any more. Where was your dh?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast