Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tricare question

1. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife

Tricare question

Advertisements
    I'm currently on Tricare Standard and while DH is deployed I'm across the country from where we live visiting family and the like. I've seen something mentioned about needing to change your Tricare region while you're gone even if you're returning to the one your currently in.

I also read something about info needing to be changed in DEERS.....DH is already gone & I'm nowhere near a base. How do I change that? I do have access to his MyPay account and I saw an update DEERS link, but I wanted to check to make sure I can do that and all without screwing anything up. I also have POA too but as I said above I'm not where near a base.

I had to see a Dr here already due to some neck & back pain, they did take Tricare & as I read it I should be covered because I haven't been out of my home area for more than 30 days (site says 60 days though I think).

I'm going to call Tricare sometime this week (we've had power outages) but I wanted to at least have an idea what I was talking about!! Thanks!
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

2. Banned
    Banned
    Deers does not have to be changed at alll.

you only have to change tricare.

just make sure the FRG has your contact info.
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulJourney View Post
    I'm currently on Tricare Standard and while DH is deployed I'm across the country from where we live visiting family and the like. I've seen something mentioned about needing to change your Tricare region while you're gone even if you're returning to the one your currently in.

I also read something about info needing to be changed in DEERS.....DH is already gone & I'm nowhere near a base. How do I change that? I do have access to his MyPay account and I saw an update DEERS link, but I wanted to check to make sure I can do that and all without screwing anything up. I also have POA too but as I said above I'm not where near a base.

I had to see a Dr here already due to some neck & back pain, they did take Tricare & as I read it I should be covered because I haven't been out of my home area for more than 30 days (site says 60 days though I think).

I'm going to call Tricare sometime this week (we've had power outages) but I wanted to at least have an idea what I was talking about!! Thanks!
    Definitely give Tricare a call! I was always told that if I am traveling away from my PCM, only ER/Urgent Care visits are covered.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm pretty sure on standard it doesn't matter your region. From what I understand, the regions are only important for Prime, so they can assign you a new PCP in your local base or area and it impacts what region pays the bill. With standard, you are not assigned a PCP, so it shouldn't matter, you can see anyone who accepts Tricare and do not need to worry about regions. I was told by Tricare that on Standard they bill the region your address is in (the one you live at, not the one you're visiting). So if you're seeing a doctor in Trinorth and are based in Triwest region, they bill Triwest regardless. Hence the reason why it doesn't matter what region you're in.

I've personally been in a similar position and have seen a doctor in a different region (visiting family) on standard and haven't had an issue with billing - I never changed my region.

If you're worried, it doesn't hurt to call Tricare.. just be warned, I always get 2-3 different answers each time!! I just accept the one that makes the most sense.

Just be cautious with what physician you choose on standard, as some of them do not bill Tricare directly and it is your responsibility to file the claim. I was told by Tricare that a good rule of thumb is if they accept Tricare Prime, then they will most likely file the claim for you for Standard. This is as simple as asking the physicians office directly. I personally haven't had an issue, but just be aware.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Volare.; 07-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
  5. Senior Member
    i moved from WA to MA, and called tricare and they just changed my address info and put me in the north region.. said to call back when i move back to WA to change my address again

6. Banned
    Banned
    even for standard you have to be in the correct region. I am on standard and I still can only use ER's and urgent care when I travel.
  7. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Thanks everyone, I'll just call them and see. The reason we stuck with Standard was so my care was easier when I traveled. I guess well see what they say.

And what is the FRG?
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulJourney View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'll just call them and see. The reason we stuck with Standard was so my care was easier when I traveled. I guess well see what they say.

And what is the FRG?
    Air Force doesn't have an FRG... if you have a key spouse, you could let them know.

I've always been Prime and its super easy when travelling, just have to call Tricare within 24 hours of being seen and almost always approved. ER/Urgent care or regular doctor, doesn't matter. Not sure if its the same with standard or not.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Talked to Tricare - if you're on Standard it functions like regular insurance, meaning you do not have to change your region. You just need to make sure they bill your home region even if you're being seen by a Dr in the North-east. For prime they do want you to change your region.
    Originally JessaBecc