Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Using Tricare while DH is still in BCT?

1. Regular Member

Question Using Tricare while DH is still in BCT?

Advertisements
    Hi Ladies,
    DH is currently still in BCT, but I received my packet yesterday with the DEERS form & Tricare info in it, so I got my military id today and I'm just wondering if me & DS could start using our Tricare now or if there are more steps to take? Do I have to wait for DH to graduate from basic? Do I have to enroll online? Is there a way I can switch from Standard to Prime or does DH have to do it?

Sorry, I'm beyond lost. lol
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Enrolling in DEERS is just part of the process.
    You also have to go to the Tricare office and be enrolled and be assigned a PCM (Primary Care Doctor) For both you and your child(ren). You will choose whether you want Standard or Prime based on your situation.
    I can't remember if the care is immediate but for some reason I thought I was told there was a 30 day wait unless it was an emergency. That was a few years back and so I am not entirely sure.

Here is the website

TRICARE Home
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    If you're in the DEERS system & have your military ID then you are enrolled in Tricare, so yes. You are immediately enrolled in Tricare Standard. The only thing you are not enrolled in is Tricare Dental, which you will have to sign up online.

You can switch from Standard to Prime by going to the nearest Tricare office or calling them & telling them you would like to switch.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Senior Member
    He likely has to be there to switch you to Prime (DH had to do it when I switched) but you are covered by Standard as soon as you have your ID. call the number for your region and they will help you find a PCM and you can start going. Make sure you understand the co pays involved with Standard, though, so you don't get hit with a bill you weren't expecting.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Enrolling in DEERS is just part of the process.
    You also have to go to the Tricare office and be enrolled and be assigned a PCM (Primary Care Doctor) For both you and your child(ren). You will choose whether you want Standard or Prime based on your situation.
    I can't remember if the care is immediate but for some reason I thought I was told there was a 30 day wait unless it was an emergency. That was a few years back and so I am not entirely sure.

Here is the website

TRICARE Home
    I thought that I had to do this and went to the office the first chance I had (about two months after I got my ID, long story) and they told me that I had been enrolled in Standard since the day I got my ID and could have been seen in that time.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    If you're in the DEERS system & have your military ID then you are enrolled in Tricare, so yes. You are immediately enrolled in Tricare Standard. The only thing you are not enrolled in is Tricare Dental, which you will have to sign up online.

You can switch from Standard to Prime by going to the nearest Tricare office or calling them & telling them you would like to switch.
    Thanks! I've found the PCM I'm interested so I'm making the call now. Also do I need an id for my son? we only have 1 child & he's 15 months old
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I thought that I had to do this and went to the office the first chance I had (about two months after I got my ID, long story) and they told me that I had been enrolled in Standard since the day I got my ID and could have been seen in that time.
    Yes, i think that's true, once you have your id you're "in" my paperwork says my Tricare has been active since the day DH enrolled me in DEERS, like a month ago.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    your child does not need an ID card, and he will not get a tricare card. you will just use your ID.

you do not have to have your DH with you to change plans. just go into the office

just a note-- if your on standard you can use any doctor you want and there will be out of pocket costs for each visit.
    but if you have a base with a clinic near you you can be prime and use the base clinic with no out of pocket costs. also if your on prime you have to get a referral to be seen off base, you cannot just call any doctor to make an appointment
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    your child does not need an ID card, and he will not get a tricare card. you will just use your ID.

you do not have to have your DH with you to change plans. just go into the office

just a note-- if your on standard you can use any doctor you want and there will be out of pocket costs for each visit.
    but if you have a base with a clinic near you you can be prime and use the base clinic with no out of pocket costs. also if your on prime you have to get a referral to be seen off base, you cannot just call any doctor to make an appointment
    Thanks!