Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Questions - deployment & regular pay after a promotion

1. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife

Questions - deployment & regular pay after a promotion

Advertisements
    I have a couple questions that are probably silly, but they're running around in m head.

1. Hypothetically lets say DH deployed March 1 so for family sep pay to kick in he has to be gone 30 days, so that will show up in Apr 1 paycheck? Basically we're getting paid for the days he has already been gone....so we'll get some family sep after he come back since it's kinda behind? Like if he arrives back say Oct 15 then we would get that portion of family sep pay Nov 1?

2. Does that apply for the rest of his deployment pay too? Do they back pay or is everything just kind of a month behind?

3. He was promoted May 28, so our June 1 pay check didn't change and I noticed a small change in the June 15th one. He said it was small because it was only for the few days in May he made the new pay grade so it's behind a little? My question is, technically we should receive the new BAH rate in June for his new rank since he was that new rank in June. When will that kick in? Will they back pay? I dont really understand I guess how this works. I cant see his LES for this month yet to see what changed exactly and how much. I just know, from my viewpoint, it looks like we were shorted the new BAH for June...or is that a month behind? Does this even make sense?!!

I'm sorry if this is confusing...it's confusing me~ I asked finance and the guy was no help and just said yes they back pay but that didn't really help me. This is our first deployment & the first promotion since we've been married (DH never really paid attention before) and I'm in charge of finances so I'd really like to make sure I'm getting this right!!
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    if he deployed March 1, he wouldn't get separation pay until the 15 Apr pay check, its the first paycheck following 30 days gone.

I'm not sure what you mean by deployment pay, if you are referring to combat pay, then yes it would likely be the 1st paycheck after 30 days, if you don't see it 1 Apr, it would be there 15 Apr.

For promotion, if he promoted 28 May, the first increase would show 15 June, and he is correct, it would be for the few days in may. The 1 July pay check would be for 1-15 June, and would likely be slightly bigger. Mind you, most promotions in the AF (until E7) aren't very large, maybe $50 per check at best, sometimes $75.

BAH, you wouldn't see BAH until 15 June, and it would also only be for the few days in May.

The 1st month check is pay period 15-31 of the month, the 15th check is for the 1-14 day of the month.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Banned
    Banned
    all pay and allowance are paid in arrears-
    the pay days are actually the 15th and the first - this is important for a couple of reasons
    1) BAH since it is payable on the 15th and the 1st it is paid like this -
    June BAH is paid june 15th and the balance paid july first.
    2) because it is paid in arrears it can effect you when you move out of housing or stop and start alottments

pay and allowance changes made prior to the 10 th of the month will show on the 15 th check, changes made before the 20th will show on the first. ( in most cases)
    so because he did not advance until the 28th you will not see the full pay until june 15th.
  4. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Thanks! That makes more sense now. So even BAH is prorated for a promotion, that's interesting.

Trish - I meant like hostile fire pay, hazard duty pay, etc.
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yes, for all deployment pay (if he gets it) it would likely be the first paycheck following 30 days. Could possibly show up the one before that, depending on if finance got the information in time.

And yes, just about everything is prorated, well not really prorated, paid in arrears.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Thanks!
    Originally JessaBecc