Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: genetics testing?

1. You are here.
    You are here.

genetics testing?

Advertisements
    Does triwest allow for genetics testing for adults past child bearing? And what about kids? This isn't for an illness we might not have (but we may as well as bad as my genes are looking from eye opening research), just to see about genetic abnormalities and stuff.
  2. Senior Member
    There would have to be an actual reason for the testing. They won't test just because someone wants to see.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    it wouldn't be just to "see"....if there are medical issues that is documented, what would it be for then?
  4. ...
    The adult might not be able to. I tried to get my doc to see if I could be tested for muscular dystrophy ( my half brother has it. Dh an I want to know if Im a carrier so we can avoid passing it on) but because im an adult it will probably be out of pocket.

If you have a doc who thinks its necessary it can't hurt to try.
  5. Senior Member
    I know to have the genetic testing done I needed proof of family history with the right kind of disease (had to bring in either a letter signed by a doctor or my families medical charts as proof) and my own medical history to get tested. I am trying to get tested for the breast cancer gene because my grandmother had it 3 times and I've had the ovarian. It's still a TON of hoops to jump through.

Some people want to be tested for stuff that has no link to them because they worry they might... That stuff would be almost impossible to get covered for out of pocket.
  6. Keep on dreaming little penguin
    Keep on dreaming little penguin
    They approved for me to have testing done for bone disorders, some test they will do but others there has to be a reason behind when they do the request.
    BraveLilToaster is the most awesome wifey ever!