Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH after getting married?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

BAH after getting married?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone! First official post as an Army wife. Weird!

Anyway. My husband and I got married last Friday in a civil ceremony and did all the on-base stuff today to get my ID card and enroll me in DEERS and TriCare. We went to start the BAH paperwork and ran into a problem that I'm hoping y'all can help me with.

We're going to be doing something called the RPP Program...I have no idea if it's an Army-wide thing or just something at Ft. Campbell, but basically it helps us cover first month's rent at a new place and sets up an allotment to be taken out of his check. We can't move into an apartment in Clarksville, TN until July because I have my lease here through August in Nashville and we'll be going on his block leave at the end of June.

Basically we can't set up the RPP stuff until 10 days before we move into the apartment. We put down a "hold fee" on an apartment today with a tentative move-in date of July 7th with the agreement with the rental company that we'd pick up the keys when we get back from his leave. We talked to someone today about getting him signed up for BAH but they said he's not able to do that paperwork until he clears the barracks.

We were under the impression that BAH is back paid to the date on our marriage certificate and that's why we chose to do the civil ceremony before our actual ceremony next month but now it's sounding like that may not be the case. Does anyone know how BAH pay works if my husband is still in the barracks until the end of this month? Will he get back paid or not?

Thanks much!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Hi and welcome.
    Make sure you introduce yourself in the Newbie section as well.

I'm not sure if he needs to clear out first, I believe he does. My husband had a room, but he was already living in our apartment, so his clear out was just them looking at the room and saying "okay".

Also, it isn't an immediate "the paperwork is done, here's the BAH on your next check". We were married on Dec 20, and we didn't receive BAH until Feb 1, because we had to be married for a month before BAH would start up. They WILL backdate it, but you may not get that on the first paycheck after getting married. We got our back BAH in Feb.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    As long as they backdate it, that's our biggest concern! We're having to pay out of pocket to move me up to Ft. Campbell at the end of the summer so it'll be nice to have that extra money. I figured it'd take a few paychecks to get everything sorted out.

The person we talked to today suggested he move out and stay with a friend...which isn't ideal but may have to happen I guess. His chain of command is letting him have the last week of June off so he can stay with me in Nashville, so now we just need to get him a home and a place for his piles of stuff for the next two weeks!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    If he moves out sooner, he could get it cleaned up and ready. So then the clear out will be super easy, and he can go apply for BAH/BAS the same day.

We got a small portion of BAH on his Jan 1 check, but it wasn't anything substantial. The big chunk + normal BAH came in February.

Can you guys get a storage unit? A lot of places have military discounts, and if you shop around you should be able to find a good price.
  5. Senior Member
    As far as I know, as long as he lives in the barracks, married or single, he gets no BAH. Your circumstances are a little different, so they might help you out. But usually, if he's staying in the barracks, there's no BAH added to his check.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We'll hopefully be able to get a bunch of his stuff to my apartment in Nashville and avoid the storage unit stuff. He's has Friday off and is planning to come down here anyway so he can load up his car and we can find room for stuff at my place now and hopefully he can do some cleaning so his clear out isn't as much work.

His chain of command had initially told him he'd be able to stay in the barracks until we got back from his leave in July, but apparently now that's changed. Ugh. Annoying.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MS234755 View Post
    As far as I know, as long as he lives in the barracks, married or single, he gets no BAH. Your circumstances are a little different, so they might help you out. But usually, if he's staying in the barracks, there's no BAH added to his check.
    I figured he wouldn't get it added to his check now, but if we do the BAH paperwork the last week of June, we were under the impression he'd get backpaid BAH from the 8th when we got married. That's what we're trying to figure out now.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allinthejourney View Post
    I figured he wouldn't get it added to his check now, but if we do the BAH paperwork the last week of June, we were under the impression he'd get backpaid BAH from the 8th when we got married. That's what we're trying to figure out now.
    But if he's staying in the barracks now, I don't think there would be any back pay to get, because they normally don't get BAH if they're in the barracks. I *think* it would only be back dated to the date he cleared the barracks, not the date you were married.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS234755 View Post
    But if he's staying in the barracks now, I don't think there would be any back pay to get, because they normally don't get BAH if they're in the barracks. I *think* it would only be back dated to the date he cleared the barracks, not the date you were married.
    This. Since they are providing him a place to live (a barracks room) he is not entitled to BAH. That is why BAH will only from the date he clears the barracks, not the date you were married.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allinthejourney View Post
    His chain of command had initially told him he'd be able to stay in the barracks until we got back from his leave in July, but apparently now that's changed. Ugh. Annoying.
    Are they saying he cannot stay in the barracks? Or did you just assume when they said he could stay in the barracks that he would also be receiving BAH while he had a barracks room?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast