Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Geobach?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Geobach?

Advertisements
    Quick question that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to...

If someone were to geobach, they're required to live in the barracks/some kind of military-provided housing (i.e. ship, submarine, etc.), correct? As in, they couldn't geobach and live out in town.

Just wanted to double check.
  2. Senior Member
    My understanding is geobach means the military member chose not to have their family accompany them to their duty station. So, they are receiving BAH with dependents for the duty location, and are using it to pay for a small place for them at the duty location and also provide housing for their family for wherever they are living.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    My understanding is geobach means the military member chose not to have their family accompany them to their duty station. So, they are receiving BAH with dependents for the duty location, and are using it to pay for a small place for them at the duty location and also provide housing for their family for wherever they are living.
    Mine too.
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    ditto...we have at least five to maybe eight geobachelors here but they all choose to live on base.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post

If someone were to geobach, they're required to live in the barracks/some kind of military-provided housing (i.e. ship, submarine, etc.), correct? As in, they couldn't geobach and live out in town.

They could, and many do. Most bases do not have perm. rooms for Geo'bachelors at the BEQ/BOQ. It's easier, or at least cheaper if they can live on the ship. We had to pay 100% out of pocket for dh when he wasn't able to live on the ship. He was stationed in CA and we lived in VA.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post

no, they are not required to live in base and all 5 branches have done away with the technical "GEO BACH" program in 2009.
    GEO members can live in barracks IF there is space avail. members can live on the boat if the Capt will allow it.
    DH rents a room, there are no barracks in DC for him.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    no, they are not required to live in base and all 5 branches have done away with the technical "GEO BACH" program in 2009.
    GEO members can live in barracks IF there is space avail. members can live on the boat if the Capt will allow it.
    DH is on shore duty (no boat) and I guess it would come down whether there is space in the barracks for him. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that Prototype has barracks. This is definitely something for us to consider.

We're pretty stressed because next July I'll be moving into an apartment near Boston (too expensive in the city) and he already has an apartment where he lives. Thus, we'll be paying two rents, two sets of utilities, etc. etc. Money will be stretched pretty thin, clearly. So we're just trying to exhaust all of our options.

If he could live out in town, that would be great. Or maybe we really should consider him living in the barracks. I could take our cats and stuff for the year that I'll be living in that apartment and the money situation would be way better. Lots to think about!

everyone!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    yea DH got lucky and actually got stationed in his home town and rents a room from his parents-
    we pay for everything for our home here in GA and for DC we pay for his room, groceries, gas ect.
    but the most expensive part is the traveling to visit- it costs us 350-450 a month just for one of us to fly to see the other.
    and we have to do this for another 2 years.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

DH was a geobach from 2005-2009 in San Diego. When there, he lived on the ship & when it was unavailable, he lived in BEQ. Had there not been any room, he would have lived off base.